Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

What does it take to make your rifle group well?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-28-2009, 02:09 PM
Platinum Member
Re: What does it take to make your rifle group well?

First off, an expectation of a Remington factory barrel shooting consistently with the "bullets touching is unrealistic" IMO. That is a group that is around .3-.4.

In reality anything consistently under .75 is good and .5 is absolutely great in factory barrels.

Having said that, now we will have the hordes of pics of the "one in a lifetime groups shot on the internet" posted. Just none of those guns ever make it to a match for some reason.

However, if you want to try and wring the most out of the gun, three immediate things will help.

1. Skim bed the action
2. Adjust the trigger
3. Recrown. scratch that maybe. I am going to assume if your smith installed the brake, he recrowned it. If not recrown it. at least check it.

As for you velocity being lower. It will be with moly. Less friction.

The experience with moly runs the gamut from great to horrible. I would go with naked bullets first, after you clean the moly out as best as possible.

Finally try using a Fed 215 primer or the Wolf LR magnum and different bullets such as the hornadys (fatter) and see what it does.

Most of the manuals are also recommending H-1000 and RL25 as the best powders too.

Unread 03-28-2009, 07:07 PM
Platinum Member
Re: What does it take to make your rifle group well?

With just 30 rounds through the bore of a factory barrel is not enough to break it in yet. Like others have said try some different bullets. The rifle will tell you what it likes. H-1000 is what my hunting buddy that loads a lot of ammo every year for people using the 7MM RUM has found to be the best.