Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

What does "shot out barrel" mean?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-02-2009, 02:01 PM
Silver Member
Re: What does "shot out barrel" mean?

Thanks much!
Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

Unread 08-02-2009, 02:25 PM
Platinum Member
Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska
Re: What does "shot out barrel" mean?

[QUOTE=J E Custom;300400]
Originally Posted by Doug in Alaska View Post
After getting the barrel clean, how many rounds between cleanings do you recommend?[/QUOTE

I like to clean as often as possible with a mild solvent, just enough to remove most of the fouling
but not enough to strip it back to bare metal during hunting season .

And as long as it shoots well I don't over clean.

For storage I do a thorough cleaning and leave some oil in the bore until I'm ready to use it .

You really have to find out what your barrel likes to get the most out of it. Most hunting rifles
will shoot well 3 or 4 times without cleaning.

Thats very good advice all the way around. Especially the last part. Each rifle can be different. I have one that needs to be cleaned every 25 rounds minus foul shots and if I dont get the bore down to the bare metal each time, it does not shoot to its max potential. Then for other barrels a simple bronze brush scrubbing every 50 rounds or so does the trick.

You just have to find what the rifle likes.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (how bad your last shot was, how big the group is going to be, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.