Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

What do you put over your muzzle brake?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2013, 07:01 PM
Gold Member

Re: What do you put over your muzzle brake?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmden View Post
Water can still get in there and smaller debris. The product I mention in post #28 is the best thing I have found of several taps and finger cots, so far. Pretty cheap and durable as well.
I like cheap and durable. When I had my Browning BOSS in 300 mag, I covered the boss brake with a single wrap of electrical tape. First time I fired that tape was gone, not to be found anywhere. Being an electrician, this was easy for me.
I think anything you use not made of steel will be gone first shot. So what do you have handy, scotch tape? finger cot? band aid?
Old 10-18-2013, 09:03 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4bycamper View Post
I like cheap and durable. When I had my Browning BOSS in 300 mag, I covered the boss brake with a single wrap of electrical tape. First time I fired that tape was gone, not to be found anywhere. Being an electrician, this was easy for me.
I think anything you use not made of steel will be gone first shot. So what do you have handy, scotch tape? finger cot? band aid?
Whatever works for you...that's what counts. I have no issue with electrical tape on a non-braked barrel. I found it taking quite a bit of electrical tape to wrap up a big slab style brake, not that that's a problem. I like to have an amount of tape or whatever device I use to cover the brake/muzzle end so that I can re-cover the brake or muzzle end several times. I've never had to more than once, but that could change.

Unless I took, I don't know, half a roll of electrical tape with me, I wouldn't have enough tape with my to deal with wrapping the slab brake multiple times. My typical style of hunting is designated wilderness backcountry backpacking and I scrutinize every piece of gear in my pack for size and weight constantly. 3 or 4 of the above finger cots beat the half roll of electrical tape in both categories and is faster and easier to apply. If you don't hunt like that, then there's no issue, but nothing escapes rigid scrutinization in my pack.

I believe the bigger slab brakes commonly used in dedicated LR rigs are a different animal than the BOSS brakes, if I recall.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 10-19-2013, 08:59 PM
Platinum Member

I hunt rugged and steep country, front carry. Had those small rubbers not hold up,my brakes are large on my 338 normas, Iput a few wraps around barrel or strip on mag or hinge plate if I shoot, for spare
Old 10-19-2013, 09:53 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp6x6 View Post
I hunt rugged and steep country, front carry. Had those small rubbers not hold up,my brakes are large on my 338 normas, Iput a few wraps around barrel or strip on mag or hinge plate if I shoot, for spare
That's why I use the 'small rubbers' I use now. Several times thicker and stronger than 'normal'.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 10-20-2013, 10:06 PM
Silver Member

Just raid your wifes kitchen and snip off a finger or two from her dishwashing gloves, slip over the brake and wrap a rubber band around it behind the brake, when ready to fire slide the rubber band back and slip of the glove finger, very durable and easy to install/remove

"In guns, particularly firearms, caliber or calibre is the approximate internal diameter of the barrel, or the diameter of the projectile it fires."
WIKIPEDIA

"Fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity"
Sigmund Freud