Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

What do you put over your muzzle brake?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2010, 09:27 AM
Platinum Member

Re: What do you put over your muzzle brake?

Thanks, FEENIX. Have you used them, by chance? I'll have to check that out.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 09-26-2010, 12:32 PM
Gold Member

I got these from my gunsmith when he sent a rebarrel back

he said they were using them in the military overseas
Old 09-26-2010, 02:33 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FEENIX View Post
Just finished reading my latest F&S magazine I ran into this ...

HUNTERS! Barrel Guards for rifles, shotguns, muzzleloaders, hunter safety | deer antler keychains
I like the looks of those. But not the cost. Might be a good option though if standard 3M electrical tape won't cover the muzzle brake. If I buy one roll of 3M tape, I can cover my barrel many times. Much more than the 6 units supplied in this package of muzzle covers.

I carry a used roll of 3M tape in my pack, so I don't carry the weight of a full roll, for purposes of replacement out in the field.

But here's a tip for those using electrical tape. After the first two strips are used to criss-cross the muzzle and brake, the third piece I use to strap the four loose ends securely to the barrel is left long enough so that I can unravel it after shooting, and re-use it to criss-cross cover the muzzle bore and brake again, until I get back to my backpack or camp in order to get some more tape. That way, even if I carry no additional tape with me, I can shoot the rifle at game once, and still have the third strip for reuse, since the third strip is behind the brake so it's never damaged by the muzzle blast. Unravel the third strip, tear it in half, and then criss-cross over the muzzle. Good to go again!

I've mentioned the 3M tape here several times because it remains sticky enough to cover my brakes and muzzle - even without the use of the third strap wrapped around the barrel behind the brake. Some of the discount electrical tape I've tried tends to come loose. But I use to the third strap so I can recover my muzzle brake, after I've fired on the target animal.
Old 09-26-2010, 04:23 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmden View Post
Thanks, FEENIX. Have you used them, by chance? I'll have to check that out.
Sorry but I have not used the reinforced type or the barrel guards.

Ed

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 06-30-2012, 01:45 PM
Gold Member

I don't use a brake but I've used balloons for years. The thick heavy ones work best . The little necks hold them in place. Throw a half dozen in the pack and they'll be there for years. Buy a bag of 50 and it will last a lifetime if you don't blow them up and shoot at them.
Old 10-12-2013, 01:07 PM
Bronze Member

What I used in the CORP?? We always used a condom..Works great, even after you have shot through it..

Dallas
Old 10-15-2013, 12:10 AM
Platinum Member

These are 14 mil and appear very durable. This is the LARGE size: Industrial Finger Cots . This model appears to me to be the best combination of things I'm looking for, given the options on this site.

Above was from a post from about a year ago. I've been using these on my Slim 3 Port Painkiller brake this year. Very durable. Have wacked 'em on stuff this year that would've shredded others on the market. Just shot a 26" Muley this morning (only 350, but had to take a neck shot or it woulda been a Texas heart shot) and the bullet went very close to where I intended.

Mine came in a bag of 300, so I've got a few to sell off if folks are interested....

Pix at: Tape on the end of barrel Post #59.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl