Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

What do you put over your muzzle brake?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2010, 09:04 AM
Platinum Member

Re: What do you put over your muzzle brake?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varmint View Post
Why don't you double up your finger cots

Tried that--they both just rip then, although it is usually better than one.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 09-24-2010, 03:23 PM
Silver Member

Have any of you ever noticed a change in point of impact at distance when you tape your muzzle?
Old 09-25-2010, 05:02 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmden View Post
Tried that--they both just rip then, although it is usually better than one.
At a nickel a piece why not change it as required? Bring a pocket full afield and call it good.

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 09-25-2010, 08:59 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FEENIX View Post
At a nickel a piece why not change it as required? Bring a pocket full afield and call it good.
True and I have, but I 've had the end over the muzzle break a couple of time while on the move and I didn't realize 'til sometime later--with the barrel unprotected for sometime...not my idea of good protection.

Found some 1.5" e-tape at the hardware store yesterday that will work just fine and provide much better protection.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 09-25-2010, 03:56 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Found some 1.5" e-tape at the hardware store yesterday that will work just fine and provide much better protection.
Good to know they make a wider version in case I someday purchase a mega-muzzle brake with ports too large to be covered with the standard 3M electrical tape.

In my experience, two wraps criss-crossed over the end of the muzzle are required to endure the rigors of my hunts. I often find that the outer tape layer is becoming compromised, but I've never had both layers separate and allow trash into my bores. The tape covering the ports along the sides and on the top of the brakes seem to be good to go with just the single layer of tape. The end of the muzzle brake is the point that seems most susceptible to damaging the electrical tape.

Sounds like you've got it whipped!
Old 09-25-2010, 05:26 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorwath View Post
Good to know they make a wider version in case I someday purchase a mega-muzzle brake with ports too large to be covered with the standard 3M electrical tape.

In my experience, two wraps criss-crossed over the end of the muzzle are required to endure the rigors of my hunts. I often find that the outer tape layer is becoming compromised, but I've never had both layers separate and allow trash into my bores. The tape covering the ports along the sides and on the top of the brakes seem to be good to go with just the single layer of tape. The end of the muzzle brake is the point that seems most susceptible to damaging the electrical tape.

Sounds like you've got it whipped!
Yep, I think that's about the best I'll be able to do. The cots are a great idea as long as you never contact much of anything. Maybe there's some heavy duty cots out there??

Old 09-26-2010, 08:01 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Yep, I think that's about the best I'll be able to do. The cots are a great idea as long as you never contact much of anything. Maybe there's some heavy duty cots out there??
Jmden,

You can try the reinforced finger cots for 3 times the cost of a regular. I do not have any experience on them but they are available. Just google reinforced finger cots for the sources, i.e., Grafco Reinforced Latex Finger Cots, Medium, Box of 144

Just for clarification, are you looking for muzzle brake protection that you can shoot through it without removing it? If you have the time to take them off before firing, I might have something that is at least 100 fold stronger than that of the finger cot. Let me know.

Ed

ADDED:

Just finished reading my latest F&S magazine I ran into this ...

http://barrelguards.com/

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.

Last edited by FEENIX; 09-26-2010 at 09:46 AM.