Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

What do you put over your muzzle brake?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2010, 03:37 PM
Platinum Member

What do you put over your muzzle brake?

What do you put over your muzzle brake to keep debris out of it?

If I didn't cover mine, I'd have half a trees worth of needles down the barrel--pretty sure that wouldn't mix too well with a 300SMK trying to get up to nearly 3k fps MV.

I've tried the latex finger cots, but they seem very fragile. I can wrap the brake with electrical tape, but what a pain and what happens when you fire with a brake wrapped like that? I've killed critters shooting through electrical tape before, but not with a brake in the picture.

I like the finger cot idea, just needs to be able to take more abuse. Water balloons don't seem too tough either.

Other ideas?

Jon

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 09-23-2010, 04:13 PM
Silver Member

Re: What do you put over your muzzle brake?

Something that has always worked for me is take a small piece of burlap and wrap it one time and a piece of duct tape on the bottom to secure it. Pretty robust and wont give you a dust sig when shooting off the ground either.
Old 09-23-2010, 04:24 PM
Platinum Member

3M electrical tape. The expensive stuff. Two pieces criss-crossed. One for the side ports. One for the upward facing ports on the Holland-style brake.

Lastly, one additional wrap of tape around the four loose ends from the initial two strips of tape.

Don't worry about the tape and any effects on gas containment. You'll need some new tape when you touch one off. When I have plenty of time on a long range shot, I remove the electrical tape prior to firing at the game animal(s).

But I'm always open to the use of a better mouse trap.
Old 09-23-2010, 05:15 PM
Gold Member

I agree with phorwath, a single thickness of electrical tape will work, a bit of a pain to put on, but it stays put and takes the punishment pushing through bushes etc.

Stu.
Old 09-23-2010, 05:25 PM
Platinum Member

I have never shot with anything on my barrel but last year when elk hunting my dad and I used a sandwich bag secured with electrical tape.

Get a JOB! I already feed the bears, I dont need to feed you too!

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad
Old 09-23-2010, 05:55 PM
Platinum Member

With this PK brake the side ports will not be covered up with one strip of typical width electrical tape. Right now, I've tried one piece for the muzzle and then had to spiral wrap the brake to cover the PK ports. I'll figure something out here...

I have some 2" width e-tape I picked up awhile back for wrapping barrels while skim bedding, maybe I'll just cut strips of that down to 1" or look for some 1" e-tape.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 09-23-2010, 06:09 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmden View Post
With this PK brake the side ports will not be covered up with one strip of typical width electrical tape.
Sounds like you've got yourself a mega-sized brake! It is important to seal these things before dragging them into the bush and brush.