Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

What do ya'll think about a 6.5-375 Ruger?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2012, 01:43 PM
Gold Member

Re: What do ya'll think about a 6.5-375 Ruger?

A bit of thread resurrection here but after reading through the 30-375SI thread, i could not get the idea out of my head of doing something similar with 6.5. I like the SI improved shoulder.

Did anyone ever accomplish one of these rigs?

Did the melonite at least help with barrel life? Thus far?

It seems this would get close to the 6.5 STW. Is that assumption close to correct?

Thanks~!
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty to throw off such governments. …” Jefferson

We are very close to this point now.
Old 04-23-2012, 02:49 PM

I've had the 6.5/375 Ruger reamer sitting in the drawer now for 2 years, which is terrible since it's on loan from a guy I know that built one, but he said didn't need it back any time soon lol. I'm still determined to put one together, and after picking up a Stevens 200 donor last year, I'm pretty sure that just for fun, to get the party started I'll probably go ahead and build it on that. Otherwise all of the parameters will stay the same. Lilja barrel in a #17 aka Sendero contour, etc. With 2 kids in the last three years, I haven't had a lot of spare cash to throw around. In the meantime, I'm going to rebarrel my CZ-550 Varmint in 22-250 over to 6XC to pass the time.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:39 PM
Gold Member

Kingfisher,

Do you have dimensions/specs on the reamer? Was it custom made to your friends specs?

Wondering about capacity and neck length etc.

What shoulder?

I fully understand plans vs family needs
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty to throw off such governments. …” Jefferson

We are very close to this point now.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:18 AM

Aldon, I have them around here somewhere. They were pretty straight forward though. It was a simple neck down job. Shoulder angle was maintained. Only problem with this reamer is the lead and I also believe that the neck dimensions need to be a little larger otherwise neck turning is required (it may be necessary anyway). However I was going to have the neck & lead cut separate. Or if it looks like that's going to be too difficult I'll just have a new reamer made to my own specs. The guy that loaned it to me had custom dies made for necking it down etc. I was just going to use 338 RCM and 300 RCM to get down to 308 then from 308 to 264 should hopefully be doable via a single pass in the 6.5/375 die. Redding has the proper dimensions for the dies on hand and last time I checked they had a few in stock.

Beyond that, the case capacity is the same, everything else is the same. I checked my emails and it looks like he was getting 3200 with the 140's out of a 26" barrel if I'm reading this right. I did find the pic of the reamer dimensions, if you'd like them then PM me your email and I'll email you the diagram. PTG has it on file.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:08 AM
Platinum Member

I wonder if they (the developers of the 26 Nosler) read this thread a while back?

What do ya'll think about a 6.5-375 Ruger?

I've since changed my mind and have decided on the Dakota as the parent case for this wildcat when I do it.

I meant to post this on the 26 Nosler thread.....

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams

Last edited by MontanaRifleman; 01-15-2014 at 10:40 AM.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:22 AM

Funny... I was just wondering the same thing. I'm really curious to see the measurements. I want to know just how close my 6.5/375 Reamer is. The guy that I got it from had some problems with the neck diameter because he was necking down 375 Ruger. However, the 26 Nosler brass wouldn't have those issues. That said, the base dimensions etc. might also be slightly different. Hopefully they'll post details soon.
Old 01-15-2014, 12:23 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfisher View Post
Funny... I was just wondering the same thing. I'm really curious to see the measurements. I want to know just how close my 6.5/375 Reamer is. The guy that I got it from had some problems with the neck diameter because he was necking down 375 Ruger. However, the 26 Nosler brass wouldn't have those issues. That said, the base dimensions etc. might also be slightly different. Hopefully they'll post details soon.
Did you ever have the rifle built?

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams