Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

What to do about bullets not available

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2013, 04:51 PM
Platinum Member

What to do about bullets not available

I'm reading more and more threads on people needing bullets, especially Bergers. When I bought some I'm glad I bought several boxes of each at the time! So, is it time to start considering different bullets based on availability?

I was told that Hornady actually sells more bullets world wide than anyone. Don't know if that is 100% accurate or not and don't care but is anyone having a tough time finding the AMax bullets they use? What's the hunting feedback on the Hornady HPBT match bullets? Anyone?

What about JLK bullets? I spoke with a rifle builder in WY who says he has as good or better luck with those v. Bergers so I bought several hundred of the 6.5mm 140 VLD JLKs and 7mm 180 VLDs. Haven't tried them yet because I have plenty of Bergers.

What about Nosler custom competition bullets? Speer competition bullets? Do the Bergers out-shoot the Sierra matchkings and perform equally as well on game or not as well?

The apparent shortage has me thinking. I have some 210 Berger VLDs I doubt I will ever shoot. I have 7mm Berger VLDs in 180 and I don't know that I'll ever shoot those either because the 168s are shooting for me about as good as I can ever hope. Should I keep them? Sell them?
Old 10-22-2013, 04:53 PM
Gold Member

Re: What to do about bullets not available

Yes.
Old 10-22-2013, 05:01 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek M. View Post
The apparent shortage has me thinking. I have some 210 Berger VLDs I doubt I will ever shoot. I have 7mm Berger VLDs in 180 and I don't know that I'll ever shoot those either because the 168s are shooting for me about as good as I can ever hope. Should I keep them? Sell them?
You get rid of those 180 7mm & .308 210 VLD Bergers, let me know...

I have been hunting for more 180's for my 7mm STW, and I shoot the 210's out of my .308 Win.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.

Last edited by MudRunner2005; 10-22-2013 at 06:02 PM.
Old 10-22-2013, 05:45 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackinSD View Post
Yes.
yes to which question(s)? That I should keep what I have right!?
Old 10-22-2013, 07:35 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
You get rid of those 180 7mm & .308 210 VLD Bergers, let me know...

I have been hunting for more 180's for my 7mm STW, and I shoot the 210's out of my .308 Win.
Mark, I have 180 of the 210 VLD 30 cal Bergers. I don't need them anymore. I did my test with my 300 RUM and it simply isn't the bullet for that rifle. I could use them in my 308 which they did shoot really well but I'm not planning on trying them in my 30.06 either. I'm still thinking about the 180 gr 7mm VLDs. I opened a box to weigh them when I bought them and have 200 of those.....hmmmm.

I'm planning on rebarreling a 7mag I own, maybe even restocking it too and may want to try the 180s in it but that project won't happen until next year so buying more bullets at a later date is a non-issue except the price will likely go up.

So, talk me out of the 7mm bullets too. My one 7RM is dead nuts on with the 168s so I don't plan on working with it again.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:15 PM
Platinum Member

As to Hornady's hpbt's shooting well, I'm getting .5. to .6 moa with the 225's I'm running in my 300rum.

I use Hornady, Sierra, or Nosler for most of what I do with a bit of Barnes tossed in when I want a lead free slug ( such as my go anywhere load for my 375h@h- a 300 gr. at 2550). I've really never played with boutique bullets and don't plan to.
Old 10-23-2013, 04:32 PM
Platinum Member

If you have a bullet that works well for you and have some quantity of them to last you a while, IMO it's not worth changing. Just keep an eye out for when "your" bullet becomes available and buy 6 months worth. Repeat until capacity catches up or you find something you like better.

Midway and Grafs will (in many cases) let you sign up for email alerts when stock comes in. It's a nice feature because you don't have to horde a lifetime worth of bullets, just keep enough inventory to keep you going until the next lot comes in.

In a pinch, there always seems to be a LRH member or two that will bail you out if you cut yourself short and have a hunt on the horizon.