Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

What creates a strong cartridge?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2013, 06:58 PM
Platinum Member

Re: What creates a strong cartridge?

In Quickload, the 338LM is SAAMI max at 60Kpsi, which implies that it's not a 'high pressure' design compared to many other cartridges.

There would also need to be further qualification of the inquiry "handle such high pressure" -to answer the question. After all, what do you mean by HANDLE?
Handle as in lasting brass life?
Easy extraction after a few stiff loads?
Not blowing up with stupid loads?
Primer pockets staying tight?
Old 01-24-2013, 06:00 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikecr View Post
In Quickload, the 338LM is SAAMI max at 60Kpsi, which implies that it's not a 'high pressure' design compared to many other cartridges.

Handle as in lasting brass life?
Primer pockets staying tight?
This I think.
The .338 Lapua had a max pressure of 450Mpa (About 65 kpsi) for a long time, it was decreased a few years ago though.
As far as I heard, the problem was not the case itself but the force acting on the bolt face, due to the big base diameter and thus area (F=p*A).
The european proofing might have had an influence on that, rifles are proof fired with a 125% pmax load. Actions not suited to cases that big had problems handling the forces applied to the boltface (increasing headspace &c).
Military loads were not affected though.
The load the british military uses in their L115 sniper rifle is still a high pressure load which propels the 250gr LockBase bullet to about 3050fps.

A lot of this is hearsay I must admit, I read it on forums, though it makes sense to me and the people who gave the information were as reliable as Shawn Carlock (experienced wildcatters with good connections to the industry).

Last edited by Beng; 01-24-2013 at 06:02 AM. Reason: got the rifle's designation wrong
Old 01-24-2013, 07:40 AM
Platinum Member

I responded previously on this thread with the standard answer of basic design, quality control etc. While this is certainly important and everyone is pretty much saying the same thing, I have thought more about it. Given those basics, after many years of working with lots of different rounds, the strongest, longest lasting cartridges have been the ones that give me the required accuracy, velocity, and distance, when my load is built to work well within the maximum SAMMI pressure of the cartridge, and, importantly, the rifle chamber has the correct dimensions. I have had 308's and 223's that a 100 box of Lapua brass gets me over 1500 rounds down the barrel with maybe a few annealings required. One the other hand, I have just stretched slightly the limits of the same cartridges and they fall apart in a few reloads with case head separation, loose primer pockets, etc. and the initial pressure signs were not always obvious. I have a buddy that uses one box Lapua of brass per barrel with his 6BR. Overall, I think that given the basic design and manufacturing process is sound, the specific load and rifle combination is what creates a strong cartridge.IMHO.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 01-24-2013, 09:25 AM
Gold Member

the right answer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
I responded previously on this thread with the standard answer of basic design, quality control etc. While this is certainly important and everyone is pretty much saying the same thing, I have thought more about it. Given those basics, after many years of working with lots of different rounds, the strongest, longest lasting cartridges have been the ones that give me the required accuracy, velocity, and distance, when my load is built to work well within the maximum SAMMI pressure of the cartridge, and, importantly, the rifle chamber has the correct dimensions. I have had 308's and 223's that a 100 box of Lapua brass gets me over 1500 rounds down the barrel with maybe a few annealings required. One the other hand, I have just stretched slightly the limits of the same cartridges and they fall apart in a few reloads with case head separation, loose primer pockets, etc. and the initial pressure signs were not always obvious. I have a buddy that uses one box Lapua of brass per barrel with his 6BR. Overall, I think that given the basic design and manufacturing process is sound, the specific load and rifle combination is what creates a strong cartridge.IMHO.