Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

What cartridge Rem SPS varmint?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2012, 08:01 PM

What cartridge Rem SPS varmint?

Hi, new to the forum. I just recently bought a Remington 700 SPS Varmint. This is my first gun and plan on using it for hunting out to about 5-600 yards. It's a 308 Win and I was wondering what cartridge (bullet weight and brand) would shoot the best out of my gun, and the rate of twist of barrel 1:12 if that is of any importance? Thanks in advance.
Old 07-01-2012, 09:41 PM
Platinum Member

Re: What cartridge Rem SPS varmint?

For practice Federal, Black Hills, Cor-bon, or Double Tap, all loaded with 168grn sierra match kings. For hunting Winchester Supreme CT 168 ballistic tip. I suggest reloading equipment as the next investment.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:45 PM
Bronze Member

Which ever bullet you use,practice,practice,practice.Never take a shot on a game animal at any distance, unless you can consistently make the shot is at least 4-5 inch group past 300.All my kids shoot and a couple do hunt,I never let them fire at a deer until they could shoot a quarter size group at 100 off the bag on the bench.Thats just me,no animal deserves to be wounded,not even a damn coyote, and I personally can't stand them............Just my 2 cents worth
Old 07-09-2012, 08:48 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpledragon View Post
Which ever bullet you use,practice,practice,practice.Never take a shot on a game animal at any distance, unless you can consistently make the shot is at least 4-5 inch group past 300.All my kids shoot and a couple do hunt,I never let them fire at a deer until they could shoot a quarter size group at 100 off the bag on the bench.Thats just me,no animal deserves to be wounded,not even a damn coyote, and I personally can't stand them............Just my 2 cents worth
+1
and actually use your hunting load at the bench to get used to it and make sure it groups well.
Old 07-09-2012, 10:01 PM

I went with 168 grain Barnes vor-tx TTSX, They had them and remington 165 Accutips I went with the Barnes instead they seem like better quality, were only $5 more. I will shoot them and see how they group, if they don't do good I will try the Winchester silver tips, or Rem Accutips.
Old 07-10-2012, 12:02 PM
Bronze Member

When you get you skill level where you are comfortable taking game at the range you are wanting to,and have burned up enough cheap stuff.Look at the GS Custom HV bullet,they have out performed every other bullet I have used.Of coarse you have to hand load,they will give more velocity,and less pressure with the same load of powder......good luck with your shooting................
Old 07-10-2012, 12:49 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpledragon View Post
When you get you skill level where you are comfortable taking game at the range you are wanting to,and have burned up enough cheap stuff.Look at the GS Custom HV bullet,they have out performed every other bullet I have used.Of coarse you have to hand load,they will give more velocity,and less pressure with the same load of powder......good luck with your shooting................
At $2 +per pill they had better be good. I've used the gs hv's in my 338 win and they don't do anything special for me. They shoot fine, but so do hornady, sierra, nosler, and barnes. It seems from what's written that they don't have as good a bc as once claimed. I haven't played with them at a long enough range to know.