Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

what can i build with this???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2012, 09:16 PM
Gold Member

what can i build with this???

First build ever so bare with me, lol

I have a winchester model 70 338 win mag that i am interested in building off of and i want to use a kreiger 338 cal barrel on it. What are my options for that action and caliber bullet?

Thanks all, Eric

Riley: "Biggest fail of 2014 so far..."
http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...72/index4.html
Old 02-09-2012, 09:32 PM
Bronze Member

Re: what can i build with this???

You can build a 338 Edge (300 Ultramag necked up to 338) or a 338 Norma Mag. The 338 Edge is a very popular round for standard magnum actions. There are a few other 338's you could build, but these are the most common for your size action.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:05 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumpm2 View Post
You can build a 338 Edge (300 Ultramag necked up to 338) or a 338 Norma Mag. The 338 Edge is a very popular round for standard magnum actions. There are a few other 338's you could build, but these are the most common for your size action.
The edge would be my first choice. Now when i build a rifle how does this work ill have a barrel and my winchester 338 wm.

Wherer do i go from there?

Riley: "Biggest fail of 2014 so far..."
http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...72/index4.html
Old 02-09-2012, 10:43 PM
Platinum Member

"shortgrass" here on LRH. Was a sponsor here, so he knows what it takes to please a very demanding bunch of shooters.
Great guy to talk to. Many good referances. (hes currently doing my build). Tho I just got the ball rollin, I'm confident in him.

Teds custom shop
(580)-774-8726
He's in Oklahoma. I just shipped my rifle to him today from Oregon.

Even if your just looking for answers to questions about a build, call him. He may be able to acomodate your needs, or point you in a direction that can.
LRH has the coolest sponsors on the planet. I'd do business with any of them before I looked elsewhere. Folks here are a demanding breed. If these guys weren't top shelf smiths etc, it would show quickly. You can't go wrong by looking in the sponsor section.
Aside from Ted, theres,
Kirby Allen, (fiftydriver) Allen precision (*Montana*)
Jim See,(coyboy) centetshot rifles
Kevin Cram, montour co rifles. Google them.
Or Look around this site. Thier masterpieces are everywhere on here.

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 02-11-2012, 11:49 AM
Platinum Member

You won't be able to do the 338 Norma w/o opening the bolt face. So your options are really the 338 RUM or 338 Edge.
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 02-11-2012, 07:48 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liltank View Post
You won't be able to do the 338 Norma w/o opening the bolt face. So your options are really the 338 RUM or 338 Edge.
That doesn't cost very much $ at all if its safe to do.
My -06 is getting turned into a 300wsm. That's a big jump for bolt face diameters.

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 02-11-2012, 08:57 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by winmag View Post
That doesn't cost very much $ at all if its safe to do.
My -06 is getting turned into a 300wsm. That's a big jump for bolt face diameters.
I know that. Just letting the OP know. The standard magnum bolt face isn't that much bigger than the standard bolt face. Going from a standard to a large magnum is almost a .200" increase. Standard magnum to a large magnum is only another .056". So that is a little safer than the other. But large magnums usually have a heavy bolt.
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!