Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

What caliber if not 338 Lapua?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2014, 08:03 AM
Platinum Member

Re: What caliber if not 338 Lapua?

7mm RemMag or 7mm STW would both be great calibers.

If you want slightly better barrel life, but still a great performing round, go with the 7mm RemMag. But if you want a little more horsepower, and to proficiently shoot the heavies (175 grain & up) go with the 7mm STW.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:55 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
7mm RemMag or 7mm STW would both be great calibers.

Indeed they would !

they are both the same CALIBER !

Caliber - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"In guns, particularly firearms, caliber or calibre is the approximate internal diameter of the barrel, or the diameter of the projectile it fires."
WIKIPEDIA

"Fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity"
Sigmund Freud
Old 04-14-2014, 11:02 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WEATHERBY460 View Post
I have a 338 Lapua, and a 308 Winchester long range gun. I am looking for another long range gun, but not sure which caliber to go with. Any ideas? I don't wany any weird odd ball calibers. I am thinking a 7mm or 300 win mag or ultra mag...please give me some ideas. thanks
By weird or odd ball, I understand that to mean you want to be able to buy loaded ammo not have to hand load.

Using that:
300 Ultra. This chambering is quite capable of taking game at 1000 if you find factory loads it really likes. If you want to hand load, I'm sure you can find a load that will put over 1000flb of energy on target at 1 mile.

7MM. While lots if the guys recomment the STW, there are 65 different factory loads available for 7mmRM at Midway including a long range target load. That said, if it were me I'd go 7 Ultra or 7 WSM. Just me. Actually I have a couple .284 Wins and one of those will become a 7mm/26 Nosler.
Old 04-14-2014, 11:04 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamplord View Post
Indeed they would !

they are both the same CALIBER !

Caliber - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Cartridge, cartucho, whatever you wanna call it...

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Old 04-14-2014, 11:07 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfseaman View Post
By weird or odd ball, I understand that to mean you want to be able to buy loaded ammo not have to hand load.

Using that:
300 Ultra. This chambering is quite capable of taking game at 1000 if you find factory loads it really likes. If you want to hand load, I'm sure you can find a load that will put over 1000flb of energy on target at 1 mile.

7MM. While lots if the guys recomment the STW, there are 65 different factory loads available for 7mmRM at Midway including a long range target load. That said, if it were me I'd go 7 Ultra or 7 WSM. Just me. Actually I have a couple .284 Wins and one of those will become a 7mm/26 Nosler.
Side by side, the 7mm STW and 7 Ultra are pretty much equal ballistically. But the 7RUM uses about 10-15 more grains of powder to equal the same velocities as the STW. 7RUM barrel life is significantly less than the 7mm STW. Not to mention, have you tried looking for any 7RUM brass lately? I have a buddy who took apart a virtually new CDL 7RUM to build a 7mm STW, mainly because he couldn't find brass or factory ammo for the RUM anywhere.

Quote:
Old 04-14-2014, 11:14 AM
Platinum Member

The 7 rum and the 7stw are not ballistically equal! Barrel life is less but that is because the RUM runs more powder and more performance.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 04-14-2014, 11:44 AM
Gold Member

Yup, that's like saying the 7stw and 7mag are virtually the same ballistically. As far as not being able to find brass goes, you can always just neck down 300 RUM brass...