Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

What caliber???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2014, 03:12 PM
Bronze Member

What caliber???

Hey everyone
I'm looking at building a lightweight sheep/goat gun with the occasional elk.
Anyhow I'm hoping it will be 6 lbs with the scope and sling I'm just not sure what to build I've been thinking a 6.5x284 but recently stumbled across the 26 nosler and like the ballistic numbers they claim.
Anyhow I'm just wondering everyone's opinion on these or other calibers that will work max shooting probably to +/- 700 yards
Thanks
Old 08-02-2014, 04:30 PM
Platinum Member

Re: What caliber???

If you're hung up on a 6.5......Go with a .264 Wiin Mag. But I suggest 7mm RemMag.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 08-02-2014, 06:40 PM
Platinum Member

I don't see how you'll control the recoil on a 6lb gun -to hit/kill heavy game at 700yds.

The most inaccurate gun I've ever shot was a Barret light 50, BMG. This is a ~30lb gun that recoils ~1" while the bullet is still in the barrel!
I can imagine this as analogous to a 26Nosler or WinMag in 6lb trim..
Just sayin

If we could all have feather weight guns and eat our cake too -we would do just that.
Old 08-02-2014, 06:59 PM
Silver Member

sheepaholic

I was just at the range with a buddy doing some load development. He had two rifles with him - a 280AI and a 300 RUM. The 280 AI was right around 6 pounds and had him flinching by the end of the session. He had no problem with the much heavier 300 RUM. So... if you are planning on going that light be sure you can handle the recoil.

Having said that I recommend that you take a look at the 270 WSM. In the bullet weights you'd want to be slinging at goats is has some decent BC choices and it won't kick the crap out of you if you don't go too light. It is also a short action cartridge which goes along with your light weight goal.
Old 08-02-2014, 07:24 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepaholic View Post
Hey everyone
I'm looking at building a lightweight sheep/goat gun with the occasional elk.
Anyhow I'm hoping it will be 6 lbs with the scope and sling I'm just not sure what to build I've been thinking a 6.5x284 but recently stumbled across the 26 nosler and like the ballistic numbers they claim.
Anyhow I'm just wondering everyone's opinion on these or other calibers that will work max shooting probably to +/- 700 yards
Thanks
It'll cost you in pretty $$$ and recoil; there are others but for light weight rifle check out Summit | Proof Research

Good luck!

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 08-02-2014, 11:15 PM
Gold Member

For a light weight mountain rifle I would look at something like a .260 or Creedmore. Maybe a 6.5X47 Lapua? I don't even want to think about a 7 Mag or bigger in a 6 lbs. rifle
Old 08-02-2014, 11:28 PM
Silver Member

.260 Rem.