close
Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Reply

What bullet weight 1/10 7mm08 26" @2800-2850 fps

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #8  
Unread 07-19-2012, 05:00 PM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: clearfield county , Pa
Posts: 778
Re: What bullet weight 1/10 7mm08 26" @2800-2850 fps

I use hornady 139 SST's , with IMR4064 powder in my tikka . I use 140 berger hunting with RL17 in my rem . I have not got a kill with the bergers yet , but the SST's are a dandy whitetail bullet . Jim
Reply With Quote
  •   #9  
    Unread 07-19-2012, 09:22 PM
    Junior Member
     
    Join Date: Jul 2012
    Posts: 5
    Re: What bullet weight 1/10 7mm08 26" @2800-2850 fps

    I'd like to THANK the three of you for your informational feedback. I will keep it in mind as I decide what to go buy to reload. I really do APPRECIATE the load info as well. When I decide what to get and work u p a load I will post her for you all to know what result I achieved. Thank you all again..
    Reply With Quote

      #10  
    Unread 07-20-2012, 11:11 AM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Jul 2004
    Location: Texas
    Posts: 6,924
    Re: What bullet weight 1/10 7mm08 26" @2800-2850 fps

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lefty7mmstw View Post
    I sold my 7-08 after using it on deer with a 120. Needless to say two 120 sierra pills in a row didn't make it in broadside out of a 20" m7 stainless. I went up to the stunned deer and shot it at 10 yards with my dad's 44. It didn't die. I proceeded to holster the pistol which by now had snow in it's barrel from ******* with the deer. I then gave said deer a left hook which knocked it stone cold, drug it back to the truck, and put it out with a pistol from the truck. I gave up on light-weight bullets in 7-08 after that and traded the dang rifle for a 44 mag of my own.
    Moral of the story-- don't use light weight bullets when you actually want to kill what you are shooting. I won't use under 140 grain bullets in any 7mm now.
    Sorry you had such bad luck with the 708 and 120 grain bullets .

    What 120 bullet did you try? I use 140s, 150s and 160s in all of my larger 7mm rifles but 120s
    Exclusively now in the 7/08.

    Not counting the Three I have owned I have built Nine other 7/08s and all of the owners have
    gravitated to the 120 grain Ballistic tips after trying every bullet under the sun.

    Larger bullets are great for targets and hunting with other cartriges but the 7/08 seems to be
    an exception from what I have seen.

    I also tried other 120 grain bullets and was disappointed with all of them. They were eather to
    explosive or they would not expand at all (Probably due to the 7/08s velocity at the POI.

    I have made one shot (DRT) kills beyond 500 yards with both my 7/08 pistol and my 20"barrel
    7/08 rifle. I have also killed some very large pigs from 50 to 800 yards and one shot is all that
    it took. some of the pigs did run, but not over 50 to 60 yards.

    As i said , It does go against the traditional long range logic but I can only relate what has
    happened to me with the 120 BTs.

    I wish Nosler would make a 120 Accubond, I would have to try it out.

    I would be interested in what 120 bullet you tried and what the results were with that bullet.

    J E CUSTOM
    __________________
    "PRESS ON"
    Reply With Quote
      #11  
    Unread 07-20-2012, 11:20 AM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Mar 2012
    Location: ND
    Posts: 2,801
    Re: What bullet weight 1/10 7mm08 26" @2800-2850 fps

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by J E Custom View Post
    Sorry you had such bad luck with the 708 and 120 grain bullets .

    What 120 bullet did you try? I use 140s, 150s and 160s in all of my larger 7mm rifles but 120s
    Exclusively now.

    Not counting the Three I have owned I have built Nine other 7/08s and all of the owners have
    gravitated to the 120 grain Ballistic tips after trying every bullet under the sun.

    Larger bullets are great for targets and hunting with other cartriges but the 7/08 seems to be
    an exception from what I have seen.

    I also tried other 120 grain bullets and was disappointed with all of them. They were eather to
    explosive or they would not expand at all (Probably due to the 7/08s velocity at the POI.

    I have made one shot (DRT) kills beyond 500 yards with both my 7/08 pistol and my 20"barrel
    7/08 rifle. I have also killed some very large pigs from 50 to 800 yards and one shot is all that
    it took. some of the pigs did run, but not over 50 to 60 yards.

    As i said , It does go against the traditional long range logic but I can only relate what has
    happened to me with the 120 BTs.

    I wish Nosler would make a 120 Accubond, I would have to try it out.

    I would be interested in what 120 bullet you tried and what the results were with that bullet.

    J E CUSTOM
    J E CUSTOM have you tried the 140 grain Barnes TTSX or 145 LRX? What were you're results? I am hunting elk this year with my 7/08 with either the 145 grain Barnes LRX or the 140 grain Barnes TTSX. I will use the 145 LRX if i can get a load that shoots better than the load i have now with the 140 TTSX.
    __________________

    I'm 18
    "Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
    ~George Washington

    "The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
    ~ JE Custom

    Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/

    My guess on W3P .308 230 Grain Bullet: G1 .740-.755
    Reply With Quote
      #12  
    Unread 07-20-2012, 03:45 PM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Jul 2004
    Location: Texas
    Posts: 6,924
    Re: What bullet weight 1/10 7mm08 26" @2800-2850 fps

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by barnesuser28 View Post
    J E CUSTOM have you tried the 140 grain Barnes TTSX or 145 LRX? What were you're results? I am hunting elk this year with my 7/08 with either the 145 grain Barnes LRX or the 140 grain Barnes TTSX. I will use the 145 LRX if i can get a load that shoots better than the load i have now with the 140 TTSX.

    I did not have much luck with the Barnes @ anything 200 yards + because of 7/08 velocities
    (avg 2200 ft/sec over 200 yards) but they worked well in my 7 STW pushed beyond a mv of
    3450 ft/sec

    On large game like Elk I would use the 150 ballistic or the 160 Accubond because of it's
    predictably. I am a believer in 225, 250 grain .338 bullets for elk so I have never shot one
    with the 7/08.

    I would not recomend the 120 for Elk because of there size and weight. I have no doubt that
    it would kill them if shot placement was behind the shoulder, but You would have to track
    them and in some areas that can be bad.

    I would recomend a larger cartrige with lots more energy but if that's all you have then keep
    the distance to the point that impact velocity will be above 2400 ft/sec.

    The Barnes should do ok if you hit heavy muscle (Like the neck)But the energy with the 7/08
    drops below 1500 ft/lbs around 250 yards and that would be My limit with any bullet on Elk.

    The 7/08 is one of my favorite calibers and I have killed more game with it than all other
    cartriges put together but it does have it's limits like all cartriges.

    Just my opinion

    J E CUSTOM
    __________________
    "PRESS ON"
    Reply With Quote
      #13  
    Unread 07-20-2012, 06:28 PM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Mar 2012
    Location: ND
    Posts: 2,801
    Re: What bullet weight 1/10 7mm08 26" @2800-2850 fps

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by J E Custom View Post
    I did not have much luck with the Barnes @ anything 200 yards + because of 7/08 velocities
    (avg 2200 ft/sec over 200 yards) but they worked well in my 7 STW pushed beyond a mv of
    3450 ft/sec

    On large game like Elk I would use the 150 ballistic or the 160 Accubond because of it's
    predictably. I am a believer in 225, 250 grain .338 bullets for elk so I have never shot one
    with the 7/08.

    I would not recomend the 120 for Elk because of there size and weight. I have no doubt that
    it would kill them if shot placement was behind the shoulder, but You would have to track
    them and in some areas that can be bad.

    I would recomend a larger cartrige with lots more energy but if that's all you have then keep
    the distance to the point that impact velocity will be above 2400 ft/sec.

    The Barnes should do ok if you hit heavy muscle (Like the neck)But the energy with the 7/08
    drops below 1500 ft/lbs around 250 yards and that would be My limit with any bullet on Elk.

    The 7/08 is one of my favorite calibers and I have killed more game with it than all other
    cartriges put together but it does have it's limits like all cartriges.

    Just my opinion

    J E CUSTOM
    It's the 7/08 or a 7.5 pound unbraked 300 Rum shooting 180 grain pills. BTW I've shot it before and it isn't fun. We will have the 338 Lapua for anything past 300 yards.
    __________________

    I'm 18
    "Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
    ~George Washington

    "The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
    ~ JE Custom

    Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/

    My guess on W3P .308 230 Grain Bullet: G1 .740-.755
    Reply With Quote
      #14  
    Unread 07-20-2012, 09:17 PM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Jul 2004
    Location: Texas
    Posts: 6,924
    Re: What bullet weight 1/10 7mm08 26" @2800-2850 fps

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by barnesuser28 View Post
    It's the 7/08 or a 7.5 pound unbraked 300 Rum shooting 180 grain pills. BTW I've shot it before and it isn't fun. We will have the 338 Lapua for anything past 300 yards.

    I hear you.

    I have an 8.5 lb 416 that is un-breaked and that is just about the limit of my fun shooting.

    I also have a wildcat 416 Buffalo based of the 375 RUM that is un-breaked but it weighs
    just under 13 pounds and pushes 400 grain bullets @2650 ft/sec plus.

    Sounds like you are good to go with the 338 Lapua. My go to for Elk at present is the .338 rum
    with 250 grain pills that is good to 1100 yards before it drops below the energy that I like to have.

    When It cools down a bit I will get back to testing my latest wildcat called a 338 super based
    of an improved 375 RUM that holds between 115 and 119 grains of powder depending on
    the type of powder.

    It should bump my distance 3 to 400 yards more than the RUM and also manage the 300 grain
    bullets well.

    The 7/08 will serve you well with any bullet if you keep the distance down.

    PS : put a break on that 300 and it will do it all.

    J E CUSTOM
    __________________
    "PRESS ON"
    Reply With Quote
    Reply

    Bookmarks

    Thread Tools
    Display Modes


    Similar Threads for: What bullet weight 1/10 7mm08 26" @2800-2850 fps
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Best bullet weight for 7mm08 270shortmagman Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics 31 12-26-2015 10:03 AM
    7mm08 bullet question foreign The Basics, Starting Out 7 08-05-2012 12:43 AM
    375 Cheytac $2850 gunman123 Guns For Sale 0 06-06-2011 02:55 PM
    What weight bullet for 1/10 18" barrel AR10? BrianS Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics 8 03-30-2011 06:46 AM
    7mm08 bullet question stonepony Long Range Hunting & Shooting 4 06-17-2009 03:22 PM


    All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:51 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
    All content ©2010-2015 Long Range Hunting, LLC