Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

What is the best chronograph?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2012, 04:52 PM
Platinum Member

What is the best chronograph?

Money aside, what chronograph would you like to own and why? What do you have and what is your experience? I'm thinking of buying a new one shortly but it's been 15 years since my last purchase of a cheaper chrony model which has worked okay.

Thanks
Old 10-13-2012, 04:59 PM
Silver Member

Re: What is the best chronograph?

I like my Competition Electronics Pro Chrono Digital just fine...it cost about $100, has always been accurate and reliable, easy to read from 10-20 feet, stores plenty of data, etc.

Its actually my 3rd one...I shot the first 2 ...it happens. (1 was at 800 yards, the other was at 1,000 yards...the cost of accurate BC measurements, LOL)

Then I got smart(er)...when shooting over it from a distance, I place an 18" wide section of railroad rail in front of it...no more damage chrono's.

Old 10-13-2012, 05:04 PM
Platinum Member

Oehler 35. In my lifetime I have owned 4 diferent brands. The Oehler gives each bullet a double check with its 3 screens. Like shooting through 2 chono's with the same bullet,, ach shot. I use to always have to tweek the velocity in programs to get them on the actual trajectory of a load. Since I purchased the Oehler I am usually right on with the first inputted data. In the last 3 weeks I have set up 4 rifles for long range. Every one was spot on to past 1000 yards with the velocity data from the Oehler. I wish I would have bought one years ago, but I simply thought I was being "thrifty" and saving money with less expensive units. Fact is the Oehler is saving me money and time now.

Jeff
Old 10-13-2012, 05:21 PM
Platinum Member

Broz, is yours the 35P that includes a printer?

Oehler Research, Inc.--Model 35 Proof Chronograph

I was thinking of the Oehler as well. I have 4 new rifles to play with prior to my upcoming muley hunt in CO. Which ever 2 of the 4 are quickest to digest my preferred loads get to go by by on a nice road trip.
Old 10-13-2012, 05:30 PM
Silver Member

Oehler. I have had a 35P for several years after a Chronny. The proof channel gives no doubt.
I could not be happier with the 35P
Old 10-13-2012, 05:30 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek M. View Post
Broz, is yours the 35P that includes a printer?

Oehler Research, Inc.--Model 35 Proof Chronograph

Mine is te Oehler 35. But it was purchased without the printer. I called them about adding a printer and they said I could buy one for $150 and it simply plugs into the data port on top like the one pictured in the your link. Other than that yes, the same unit.

Jeff
Old 10-13-2012, 08:02 PM
Bronze Member

I'm going for a Magneto Speed magnetic....

Here is a link to some "field" testing: Magneto Speed magnetic chronograph

FUBAR,
Wounded Warrior Alumni