Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

What is the best big 30 cal, and why?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2005, 02:45 PM
Gold Member

Re: What is the best big 30 cal, and why?

I don't know anything about the "30 Wolf" I do know quite a bit about 30-378 weatherby with a 28 inch barrel and 2 inch brake.

They are @120 grain max powder capacity. So they are in the flame thrower class. The brass is @ $42.00 per box of 20. They seem to last through several reloads without a problem. Except for the ones I ruined the primer pockets by overloading.

IMO - The speed could only be upped by maybe using a 30-32 inch barrel.

I was also down buying brass one day and for the same cost I could get 338-378. That might be the caliber to get. Then you could go for the 300 grain .338 and really have a chance at true one mile shots.

Another word of advice is get a quality brake. Any gun that is approaching 5000 foot pounds has plenty of recoil. The sub 200 grain are OK, but the 220 & 240's ware me out at the range.
Old 11-11-2005, 11:15 AM
Platinum Member

30 wolf info

Try the above link. First time doing that. So if it doesn't work do a search ("30Wolf") that goes back 4 years in B,B,B and look for author STL. A lot of discussion (14 pages) on this one.

If it weren't for the fact that doing this would cost me more money than my budget allows, I would go with the 30 Wolf and wouldn't look back. However, what I've done instead is make the 300 RUMBO. A very blown out, short-necked 300 RUM case. Just got the reamer and it'll take me a while to get the whole thing finished.

300 RUMBO chamber reamer drawing for drawing that is very close to what the reamer is. Only difference is that we (PTG-Dave Kiff) made the shoulder .539 instead of .541 at the last minute.

jmden

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 11-12-2005, 09:11 PM

New project! Gonna neck my thermos jug down to a phonograph needle! Shoots at 12,000 fps! Barrel life=15 rounds!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 11-14-2005, 10:53 AM

The 30 Wolf Is the way to go. Mine was just completed and will post groups tomorrow. I have shot them in the past and that is one of the many reasons I chose to go with it. You can get up to 8 firings out of the Lapua brass as compared to 3-4 with the RUM or Weatherby or Lazzeroni. As much as i DETEST case prep that was a big plus. As far a being a barrel burner you can ruin a barrel on a hot day by shooting rapid fire and not allowing adequate cooling. I have a friend who has over 5000 rounds through his and still shoots below 1/2 MOA.

Will post groups tomorrow