Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

What barrel for new build?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2012, 10:51 PM
Platinum Member

Re: What barrel for new build?

Barrel selection is one of my favorite things to decide on, and also a headache. There are always the "what ifs."

IF you can get a cut rifled Obermeyer barrel, that would be my first recommendation. The fact is Boots does NOT make a bad barrel. PERIOD. I have one on my 308 and I'm damned near ready to start making some bets at the gun club on who's rifle shoots best.

You absolutely cannot go wrong with another Krieger. You absolutely cannot go wrong with a Bartlein. Same for Rock. I hear wonderful things about Brux. Bottom line, flip a coin.

As to button rifled barrels, I think Hart wins the best reputation blue ribbon, especially in competition shooting. Broughton makes a fine barrel. Don't forget Gary Schneider. McMillan rifles uses Gary's barrels on their rifles, and the polygonal rifling is doing well at the bench.

They will all shoot well but I think some barrels just have an edge. My top 3 choices would be in this order: Obermeyer, Krieger, Hart.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:51 PM
Platinum Member

Im going with brux on my build, mostly because it is a cut rifled barrel which i read somewhere is slightly harder than a button rifled, therefore lasting longer.

I'm 15
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE CUSTOM

"Dope that scope and tickle that giggle switch"

~Doublezranch

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/
Old 11-26-2012, 10:57 PM
Platinum Member

Sometimes I'm inclined to try a barrel I don't have. Other times I like to stick with what I know. But guess what, I have yet to try a new barrel and be disappointed with it. Good problem to have right?

I plan on putting together about 5-8 new rifles in the next 3 years. I plan on getting a Brux for at least 2 of those. I'd like a Rock for at least 1. I'd like another Hart, and I'd like to try a Schneider.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:57 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnesuser28 View Post
Im going with brux on my build, mostly because it is a cut rifled barrel which i read somewhere is slightly harder than a button rifled, therefore lasting longer.
I don't believe that to be true. I've never seen any evidence of it. Have you? Please post if so. I'd like to read.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:02 PM
Platinum Member

Lilja all the way ...

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:06 PM
Platinum Member

after a quick search found this from krieger.
Q: Is there any advantage to a single-point cut-rifled barrel Vs other manufacturing methods?
A:We feel there are several:

• Most stress-free way to rifle a barrel.
  • Bore and groove dimensions very uniform throughout the entire length of a barrel.
  • On average the barrel lasts longer than a button rifled barrel.
This is not conjecture on our part. This is information reported to us by military armorers and by very long-time competition shooters who have used a considerable number of both button-rifled and cut-rifled barrels.

I will do some more searching and see what i come up with.

I'm 15
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE CUSTOM

"Dope that scope and tickle that giggle switch"

~Doublezranch

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/
Old 11-26-2012, 11:10 PM
Silver Member

My last build has a Brux on it. I too prefer a cut barrel, so if it were me I would choose the top 4 cut barrels that I wanted and then go with whichever can get me a barrel when I needed it.