Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

what barrel maker makes the lightest contour

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2012, 11:16 AM
Platinum Member

what barrel maker makes the lightest contour

I am considering rebarreling my 375 ultra to a fluted barrel. I would like a krieger but they wont flute anything under a 6 because they dont have the tools to pressure test what it safe so they only flute heavier barrels. I want a barrel that will match my factory remington barrel or at least close to it and flute it. anyone have any info on this for making an ultralight rifle?

Get a JOB! I already feed the bears, I dont need to feed you too!

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad
Old 11-27-2012, 03:49 PM
Gold Member

Re: what barrel maker makes the lightest contour

When I built my 7 saum the #4 Douglas conture was about 1/2 pound lighter than a #4 Schillen conture. I think a #3 Douglas conture would be as light as I would want to go with something like the 375.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:44 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkamike View Post
I am considering rebarreling my 375 ultra to a fluted barrel. I would like a krieger but they wont flute anything under a 6 because they dont have the tools to pressure test what it safe so they only flute heavier barrels. I want a barrel that will match my factory remington barrel or at least close to it and flute it. anyone have any info on this for making an ultralight rifle?
I think you cab get a Pacnor in the factory Weatherby contours, and that's a pretty light barrel.
gary
Old 11-28-2012, 12:52 PM
Platinum Member

I heard Brux will flute down to a #4, but that's probably in certain calibers, like 30 or less maybe.?

Just curious, why in the world do you want an ultralight barrel in a 375 UltraMag? Sounds pretty scary to me.

Old 11-28-2012, 01:00 PM
Platinum Member

Bruce, its already a pencil barrel i just was hoping to dress it up a little and have a nice hand lapped barrel. its not bad to shoot with a nice CSR Brake but it is still handfull. Nice carry rifle for elk!

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad
Old 11-28-2012, 01:14 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkamike View Post
Bruce, its already a pencil barrel i just was hoping to dress it up a little and have a nice hand lapped barrel. its not bad to shoot with a nice CSR Brake but it is still handfull. Nice carry rifle for elk!
I looked at Pac Nor's website a few minutes ago, and they make some really skinny barrels. Your problem will be in the flutting. Might be worth an email. Of course if you really wanted to make something neat, you could go with a tapered octagon barrel like Winchester used to offer
gary
Old 11-28-2012, 01:27 PM
Platinum Member

fluting isnt necessary but would be nice. not sure i could live with the octagon haha