Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

what barrel ?????????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2012, 07:46 PM
Gold Member

Re: what barrel ?????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek M. View Post
He would not tell me as he likes Dan very much but had a repeated problem with a few bbls in various calibers where the problem was solved when a Hart tube was installed. Dan builds phenomenal barrels but no one builds them 100% of the time.

The one downfall I've experienced with the Lilja tube is the steel sometimes does not cut like other steels like from crucible.

I've had rifles built with the Lilja bbl and the smith did not do a chamber cast once complete and After shipping back to me, I go to the range only to find some cases won't extract without great effort. There were small chunks taken from the steel while chambering that left the brass filling the void with fired case. Allegedly, this was with a relatively new reamer too.

So, my lesson was that (as related to me by the builder) with 2 barrels, Lilja and Lothar Walther, the chambering process should take a little longer or that the steel cuts differently and that Carpenter steel can be more brittle.

Until the day comes where I start building rifles (which is never), I have to rely on the experiences of the builders I choose to help me make informed decisions.

Plus, in my experience and opinion, Hart barrels are the top button rifled barrel style available.

10-15 years ago we had the same problem with Hart. A friend and I use to buy around 30 barrels a year from Hart. We did that for several years and the number of poor shooting barrels starting increasing. So we starting shooting barrels from numerous other manufacturers like Lilja and Schneider. I've had some great shooting Lilja's but I also had some crappy ones. I don't recall one Schneider that didn't shoot really good. Of the button rifled barrels I've used the most accurate have been Hart but some of the worse shooting ones were also sporter weight Harts. I'm sure Hart has improved since then as many noted smiths on here use them with good success.

Since that time I haven't used as many barrels but I have been using mostly cut rifled barrels from Brux, Krieger, and Bartlein. All have been sub 1/2" barrels. I will probably continue to use cut barrels from the 3 mentioned companies until I run into issues.

Anyone can build a bad barrel and I'm sure they all have. For me it's the percentage of bad barrels to good barrels. It does seem like the cut barrels have made a huge jump in use for the 1000yd benchrest and F class guys compared to 10+ years ago (granted several of the cut rifle companies were just starting back then) but those shooters generally use a companies barrels they can consistently win with barrel after barrel.
Old 01-09-2012, 01:22 AM
Silver Member

Re: what barrel ?????????

I'd go with Benchmark... Fantastic barrel with a little less wait time than others.