Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

what barrel ?????????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2012, 04:30 PM
Gold Member

what barrel ?????????

i'm going to start to put together a new rifle in 338rum on a savage target action and need to see what every one thinks for as a barrel goes. Its going to be 28"-30" long in a #6 Contour
What brand of barrel would u buy ???????? Pac-nor, Shilen, douglas, McGowen or what it hard to make up my mind.
Old 01-05-2012, 05:17 PM
Silver Member

Re: what barrel ?????????

I use a broughton 5C on my 7mm stw and absolutely love it. It is one of the least fowling and easiest cleaning barrels I have ever dealt with.
Old 01-05-2012, 05:46 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff 300 View Post
i'm going to start to put together a new rifle in 338rum on a savage target action and need to see what every one thinks for as a barrel goes. Its going to be 28"-30" long in a #6 Contour
What brand of barrel would u buy ???????? Pac-nor, Shilen, douglas, McGowen or what it hard to make up my mind.
Cut rifled bbls in this order:

Obermeyer (if you can get one)
Krieger or Bartlein (equals)
Rock or Brux

Button rifled bbls in this order:

Hart
Lilja
Broughton
Shilen

Krieger would be my #1 choice cut rifled. Hart would be my #1 button rifled. Make me pick b/w those 2 and it boils down to who can get me the bbl fastest.
Old 01-05-2012, 05:53 PM
Platinum Member

Derek is spot on in my opinion.

1. Obermeyer
2. Kreiger
3. Rock or Brux

Although I have 4 Shilens that do shoot really well.

Check this out: www.bugholes.com

They STOCK Obermeyer, Brux & Rock Creek. I just received my 31" 8.4 twist 6.5mm in about a week!
If I recall correctly Mike @ CS Tactical stocks Bartlein.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:08 PM
Platinum Member

I have 3 Shilens, and one is not on a rifle yet.

the 7mag and 300 RUM shoot as well as any other rifle. I will admit that Shilen is not my first button recommendation yet because of the crap the company went through for a time after Ed and while Doug was in charge. It is unknown to me what the problems were but many former loyal Shilen smiths stopped using the bbls due to concentricity issues. Lucky for me I either dodged that time frame or got lucky with the select match grade tubes.

I received a 7mm Shilen about 2 years ago from a dealer who stated to me that I won't find a finer barrel now that the company has been managed by some new fellow. I am eager to see what the barrel will do when the time comes to build.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:01 PM

I absolutely agree, however I would include Chanlynn in the cut rifle barrel group. His barrels are top notch. I have a Chanlynn on my 7 RUM and a Brux on my newly rebarreled 7 rem mag. I would have put a Chanlynn on my 7 rem but the brux was faster to get.
Old 01-06-2012, 12:27 AM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

Unless Derek is right about shilen improving, I would never concider a shilen. Douglas is OK but out for me as well.

I prefer Lilja and Hart in that order.

I have had a couple of kreigers and they shot like crap. It is worth mentioning that they were attached to weatherbies so who knows if it was the barrels or the overall gun. Either way, you couldn't give me either.

Have had one Rock Creek and it cooked FAST. To be fair, I did hot rod it with high pressure loads in a very overbore magnum. While it lasted, I can say it did not seem to foul whatsoever and cleaned up super easy.

I will say I have seriously abused many barrels and Lilja and Hart have held up the best for me. Between the Liljas, Harts and the RC barrels I have had, they all had 1/4 MOA potential. They all cleaned up easy but the RC cleaned the easiest.

Cant vouch for any other barrels.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.