Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

What ACTION for a 7mm-338 LAPUA Imp. cartridge?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2005, 08:45 PM
Platinum Member

Re: What ACTION for a 7mm-338 LAPUA Imp. cartridge?

[ QUOTE ]
I Know that goodgrouper will track me down for this comment but, most people that are getting into long range shooting think you need tons of velocity to shoot far. I reccomend a 308 for a first LR rig.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not at all! I think the .308 makes a ton of sense and is a great gun for beginners and experts alike. But I also think that the 260 rem is better! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] I'll bet you that if the military had been setup with .264 caliber barrels instead of .308 caliber barrels, the world would be a lot different!
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 03-10-2005, 09:09 PM
Gold Member

I would go with a 7mm STW it is by far the best 7mm out there. The 7mm STW will shoot flatter buck the wind better and have more energy at longer range then a 300 win mag with equal bullet weights. As for the 7mm STW being a barrel burner I have 1500 + rounds through mine and a gun smith that says it will go another 1000 easy. If you go with a 28 inch barrel you should be able to drive 160 grain bullets over 3300 fps easily. As for recoil my Sendero weighs 11lbs and I would say it kicks like a 8lbs 270 or 30/06. If you are really want a bad ass long ranger don't waste your time with the 280 imp or 7mm WSM or 7mm Mag just get the STW and forget about the Ultra way to much powder for the 150fps you gain. You might want to talk to Richard Graves from wildcat bullets he is comming out with a 7mm 180 grain ULD and 200 grain ULD bullet that are really going to push a 7mm in the big boy league. The 180 grain is going to have a bc over .800 and the 200 grain is going to have a bc of over 1.0. That will compete with the big 338's out to a mile. Also the nice thing about Richard is he is a 7mm fan and has a few big 7mm's and he can tell you first hand how his bullets shoot. Richard is making me a 175 grain ULD thick Jacket bullet for my STW and the bc is going to be over the .700 mark. I should be getting them in the next couple of weeks and I will post the results.
Old 03-10-2005, 09:20 PM
Gold Member

[ QUOTE ]
Not at all! I think the .308 makes a ton of sense and is a great gun for beginners and experts alike. But I also think that the 260 rem is better! I'll bet you that if the military had been setup with .264 caliber barrels instead of .308 caliber barrels, the world would be a lot different!

[/ QUOTE ]
My thoughts exactly...
as for the 7mm-338Lapua, wasn't len doing one of these about a year ago?
Old 03-10-2005, 09:44 PM
Bronze Member

I agree that the 260 rem is a better long range round, but, I reccomend the 308 because of the availability of match ammo. Accurate rifles need accurate ammo. And if you dont reload, like a lot of people I talk to, then you are limited to what you can buy. And you can buy match 308 almost anywhere.

LiteTac.
Old 03-10-2005, 10:30 PM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
The 7mm STW will shoot flatter buck the wind better and have more energy at longer range then a 300 win mag with equal bullet weights

[/ QUOTE ]

That is like saying that a Ferrari and a Honda Element will not go the same speed in a school zone! Of course they will, a 20 mph speed limit is the same for both cars regardless of aerodyniamics! If you compare two calibers (one small and one large) and keep the bullet weights the same, you are not really comparing anything other than recoil!

A 7mm VLD does have a higher bc than a 180 grain .308, but get into the specialty 210,220 and 240 grain thutties and you have a different ball game. And honestly, I don't think that the original poster of this topic wants to shoot Berger 7mm 180 vld's for game OR the 220 .308 vld's either fot that matter.

I have a friend who took very good care of his 7 stw, and it gave up the ghost at about 900 rounds. He knew something was wrong when his groups opened up and he took it to a gunsmith to have it borescoped. The 28" Lilja was toast for about the first 3" of barrel! To make matters worse, he later admitted that while the stw would shoot 300 fps faster than his old 7mm mag, it had terrible accuracy at that speed. THe only load that shot to his expectations turned out to only shoot about 175 fps faster than the 7 mag! WOuld that be worth burning another 15 grains of powder for?

[ QUOTE ]
and the 200 grain is going to have a bc of over 1.0. That will compete with the big 338's out to a mile

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sorry, but you would have to have something with a lot more horsepower than a 7 stw to push a 200 grain bullet at velocities adequate to make this be a viable ".338 killer".
And even then you would still not beat the .338 because by the time your gun was dialed in for 1760 yards, your burned out throat would start blowing up bullets while our .338 MOAG would be ringing that 2k gong like no tomorrow. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Did I just say that?!
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 03-10-2005, 10:45 PM
Silver Member

The stock is not a mc millian. It is a sharp shooter supply or stockade gun stock. It looks just like the a 5 , it is very simmilar. I don't know as much about this stuff as you guys but my savages with sharp shooter supply stocks aluminum bedding blocks in the stocks shoot very well. My 22 br shot 1.5 group at 500 yards , with the stock not bedded, I don't think I can get it to shoot any better. As far as the 7-338 laupa I don't think you have much to gain,it will be hard on barrels. But I think a shortened improved version would work very well with richards 200gr bullets.
Old 03-10-2005, 10:53 PM
Silver Member

You are right fiftydriver bedding usually helps, I just tried shooting my stocks with out bedding first,and last two shot great, so I didn't bed them. Half my actions are bedded with the aluminum blocks in the stocks the others aren't. These are the same stocks they sell in brownells for savages. Kevin Rayhill in nebraska makes them. Sharp shooter supply sells them and so does brownells. You used one of these stocks on your 270 allen mag. How did you like it compared to other name brands? I haven't used any thing else to really compare them too. Thanks Reed