Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

What 7mm round

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2013, 11:40 PM
Bronze Member

Re: What 7mm round

defintly check on a .284 jazz or there are other names for it it is a 338 norma necked down to .284 with the short case and the long bullet it fits in to a la great at 3.85 . it shoud hit the 3200 mark wti 89 grains of h1000 as with my 7mrum can only do this with 95 snd also has freebore to jumpand burn. im currently having a 7-300norma reamer built from ptg at 1-30-00
Old 06-24-2013, 09:06 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
I would look at a 7-300 Norma mag or the 7 RUM to get your target speed, I don't think the 7 Dakota or 7 LRM can quite reach that velocity.

I was hitting 3200 easily with my dakota.

180 VLD's
Broughton 8 twist 32" barrel

It was my experience the accuracy with the VLD's went to sh!t 3200+. Shoot for 3175 or less.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:49 AM

Those old posts were from before I knew what I was talking about. We didn't have a chrono and were just going off the ballistics calculator. There were a number of assumed variables. Now with more knowledge ad understanding I am revisiting the rifle.

I am thinking about going back to 7STW for the simplicity of it over some of the more crazy wildcats. The problem with the old one was that it was too light and needs a brake. Recoil was crazy strong for the setup and not very enjoyable.

The reason for the velocity demand is to gain any and all advantages you can. Having said that I just pulled an arbitrary number that I knew was super high so only the big over bores would show up in this thread. I have looked at the the typical stuff and wanted to see if there were some I was missing.

How does the 284 Jazz work in a standard long action. I would for sure have to swap bolt faces but that can be done.