Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

what 6mm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2013, 11:32 AM
Platinum Member

Re: what 6mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by blipelt View Post
Gary I can't say I had any problems with the 600 brass I fireformed last year. I split 4! But then again like I posted before help is close and experience well no one else compares. I look forward to seeing the 6 BG in Calf. next month at the benchrest and F-Bench Nationals. I am sure if it is good as you say some will be shooting it. Guess we will see what comes out on top.

Brent
I doubt you'll see it in any match under three hundred yards. Those yardages are all pretty much locked up by the 6PPC and the 6BR, plus the BG series was never developed as a target only round. It's really a long range varmit rounds that can also be used to punch paper. It for me is a better solution to the problems that the 6/250AI has, and also not a lot different (little longer at the shoulders). This is why I said the better solution was to use the 6mm Remington improved reamer, and just ream the chamber short to headspace off a 250AI headspace gauge or better yet the shoulder length of about 1.55". That way you'll end up with a 6mm Jaybird with either a 40 degree or 30 degree shoulder depending on which reamer you select.

Looking at the 6mm SLR prints, I think I could do a .25" barrel setback, and simply run their reamer in my 6/250 chamber. The only issue I see with it is that with case shrinkage during the fire form operation you'll be hard pressed to see a .290" neck length. Be better with a 1.540" shoulder and an extended neck length to come out at about .32" neck length. In otherwords similar to a 6BG.
gary
Old 03-26-2013, 09:02 PM
Platinum Member

The class we shoot in is 600 and 1000yds. I will make all but one this year, however Richard plans to make them all. You should try and make a 600 or 1000yd. event especially a Nationals it brings out the big dogs. You never know, talk with someone well versed in the Dasher and you might have a different opinion. Like 40-50 reloads on brass. Not every shooter/reloader is equal.

Brent

"The will to win, compares little with the will to prepare to win" Donovan Moran
Old 03-28-2013, 01:58 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booney View Post
hey cb what about the 6-47 do you like better over the 6AI ?
Booney,

Disclaimer: This is, of course, only my own humble opinion...

If I read right you said you wanted a 6mm for rockchucks, paper, and maybe in the future an "occasional" antelope. My thoughts were mostly based on that comment.

With your planned use in mind the 6x47 gives me great accuracy, efficiency, barrel-life, and won't wear me out after a day of shooting varmints. (granted the 6AI doesn't have TONS of recoil but the 6x47 still wins with less)

I haven't tried anything heavier than 95 gr SMK's in the 6x47. With 39 gr of H4350 they go 3100 fps and are really accurate. The 6AI will of course shoot bigger bullets faster (my 6AI shoots 107 gr SMKs @ 3300 if I remember right) but at the expense of recoil, more powder usage, and probably less barrel life.

The 6x47 still has enough "umph" to hit the occasional antelope hard enough to get him down at range. If your planned uses were reversed (if you wanted a 6mm deer/antelope gun that would "occasionally" see paper/varmints) then I would say the 6AI would win out.

I hope that all came out clear... Keep in mind I'm only comparing the 6AI and the 6x47 for your application, which is similar to my situation actually.

Being a younger shooter I have not yet had experience with 6BR's, 6XC's or 6-06's so my expertise is limited there. So you may find other info from those cartridges that better fits your bill.

Hope this all helps

-The flexibility of your adaptability is the true measure of your intelligence-
Old 03-28-2013, 07:40 PM
Platinum Member

honestly, even the 6XC and the 6/250 will get old setting over a dog town! Yest you could shoot a dozen or even two dozen , but after about 30 your gonna flinch a bit. I wouldn't be afraid to use a 6BR on white tails out to 400 yards with the right bullet and some very hot loads. A 6BR is fun to shoot and won't beat you up as bad. The 6x47L will develop more recoil, but would fit your needs better (just a good all around round).

Ferris Pindell said more than once the the 6BR was a better round than the 6PPC past 300 yards, and that was saying something as he's the guy that made the 6PPC shoot so well. I think the 6BR is the place to start out at. If it dosn't work you have plenty of metal there to rechamber it into something that will work for you.
gary
Old 03-28-2013, 09:05 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB11WYO View Post
...With your planned use in mind the 6x47 gives me great accuracy, efficiency, barrel-life, and won't wear me out after a day of shooting varmints. (granted the 6AI doesn't have TONS of recoil but the 6x47 still wins with less)...
I need to mention though, concerning the recoil comments... My 6x47 does weigh 13 lbs. I'm thinkin somethin to do with the 30" Lilja But then again I never needed it to be a pack-on-foot-all-day-long kind of gun.

Old 03-28-2013, 09:15 PM
Silver Member

Thats all right i pack my 17lbs 338 AM up and down mts all over.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:19 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booney View Post
Thats all right i pack my 17lbs 338 AM up and down mts all over.
Dang! Must be a worth-while rifle I sure ain't quite that motivated, a mile or so in search of a yote on foot is good for me.