Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

What .308 168 grain bullet has the highest bc?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2014, 07:42 PM

What .308 168 grain bullet has the highest bc?

While bc isn't everything, id like to know whether a berger bullet has the highest or a sierra matchking, for example. I know there is alot of ambiguity here but I need a good starting bullet for my .308 and its hard to find a chart comparing different bullets number wise brand to brand.
Old 04-02-2014, 08:17 PM
Platinum Member

Re: What .308 168 grain bullet has the highest bc?

Here is something that may be interesting for you to look at. Go to: JBM - Calculations - Trajectory and play with some different library bullets and compare the difference in trajectories/retained energies at range. Some of the bullets have data compiled by Bryan Litz, and are generally considered to be "real" BCs. If available for the bullets you want to compare, his data offers apples to apples BC comparison.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:03 AM
Gold Member

The simple answer would be to tell you. That could start an argument.

The more fun answer is to tell, like "varmintH8R" did is to learn how to find out using the tools available on the internet like JBM, sales sites that list them like Midway and the manufacture's sites.

but

I'll give a shameless plug for what I like, the manufacturer's name begins with an "H" and the model begins with an "A" and it has a BC1 of .475 and a BC7 of .230. It's inexpensive and shoots very well. I've tried it in several 30 cal chamberings.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:23 AM
Platinum Member

No 168 grain .308 caliber bullet will have a high BC, simply because it is an awkward shaped bullet. Very short and wide. It's like the humpty-dumpty or weeble of the .308 bullet world.

I would imagine the best BC would be the Berger 168 VLD. They shoot great out of my .308 Win, so I have zero complaints about them. My .308 likes pretty much anything I've put through it. I had an old box of Hornady moly coated Match ammo that I wasn't planning on getting much use out of, from back before I reloaded, so I figured I'd shoot them up. It HATED them. It was barely grouping about 1.5" with it. That's the worst I've ever had Hornady group in ANY of my rifles, ever. But I gained 20 match-grade brass out of it, and I had long since bought the ammo, probably 10+ years ago. So I considered it free brass. As if I don't already have enough .308 brass just sitting around.

Unless you have a specific need or purpose for shooting the 168gr bullets, I suggest you give this a try, if you have an 11.25" or 10" twist. Try working up a load with the Berger 210 VLD's. It won't be the fastest car on the track, but it's certainly a juggernaut with some hard-hitting energy.

I shoot the 210 VLD's with Varget, Lapua brass, and Federal 210 primers, and it puts 5 inside of a dime @ 100 yards.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:44 AM
Platinum Member

If you HAVE to shoot the 168, the Berger & Hornady are probably going to be your best bet. On the other hand; why limit the range potential of your 308? Step up to the tried & true 175SMK or the Hornady 178A-max, get another couple hundred yards from your setup & add some needed downrange energy.

Heck, i've always wondered what the 308 could do with the 185 or 190 Boogers & a healthy dose of RL-17....

t

Old 04-03-2014, 11:01 AM
Silver Member

Sierra:
https://www.sierrabullets.com/store/...HPBT-MatchKing

Berger:
30 Cal 168 Grain Match VLD Target

I will admit that these .308 cal 168's have a higher BC than I was thinking they would

-The flexibility of your adaptability is the true measure of your intelligence-
Old 04-03-2014, 12:42 PM

Berger hybrid = hunting bullet has a G1 of .496 target hybrid is .519