Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

What 300WM bullet for elk?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2013, 10:42 PM
Silver Member

What 300WM bullet for elk?

I am heading to Co. next year for my first elk hunt. I am currently using 180gr ballistic tip for my muley load when going out west. I was hoping some of you can give your advice based on experience for a good elk bullet. I know it's going to be a lot of preference difference but I''m hoping there will be a common conclusion. If this is a repeat thread please refer me to an original. Thank you in advance for any/all input you can give me. I am thinking of the partition, but look forward to your opinions.
Old 12-21-2013, 10:47 PM
Platinum Member

Re: What 300WM bullet for elk?

Look at the results I have in this thread with the 215 Berger in my 300 win and see if the terminal performance I got with them on elk is what you seek. Keep reading there are 19 big game kills with this bullet, lota of terminal performance pics with internal dameag shown. Many kills at different distances on bulls and cows.

Comparing the Berger 210 VLD to the 215 Hybrid

Jeff
Old 12-21-2013, 10:52 PM
Bronze Member

215 or 230 berger seems to work real well

Comparing the Berger 210 VLD to the 215 Hybrid

Berger 230 and 300 OTM Hybrid terminal results

here is some good material to read through
Old 12-22-2013, 11:07 PM
Silver Member

Thanx guys. Looks like you are Berger fans. I have only used Nosler to this point but am open to all brands. Jusr want to find best bullet for elk.
Old 12-22-2013, 11:41 PM
Bronze Member

As you can tell by my number of posts, I'm new on here and I'll probably get shot down. I like the nosler 180 accubond. If I remember correct they are the same BC as the ballistic tip you're currently shooting.
Old 12-23-2013, 09:36 AM
Banned

I would go with the Partition, Accubond, Hornady Interbond or one of the Barnes options. I think elk deserve premium bullets. I am not a fan of Bergers, SST, or Ballistic Tips on elk, but some people like them also. Just put them in the right place.
Old 12-23-2013, 09:37 AM
Platinum Member

Any,.... again I say any bullets performance will differ with impact velocity that will be dictated by distance from the muzzle. The farther out you go the less the harder bullets will expand. Any bullet will kill an elk if placed properly for its construction. Some will expand more some will expand less and penetrate deeper. As with any bullet the fragmenting (softer jacketed) bullets expand less as distance increases so they penetrate deeper as you go out, but I feel they have the best expansion at longer distances, yet still kill good for me at the closer distances. We shoot or are along side shooters with our rifles while taking 15 to 25 elk each season. Many of these shots are over 500 yards as shown in the links above. This is why I shoot the bullets I do. I hate tracking elk and I knock on wood that I have not tracked one elk over 150 yards since I started using what I use.

Here is what I will offer you if you want to kill anything especially elk. Find what is most accurate in your rifle. Not at 100 yards but at the farthest distance you would take a shot on your elk. Then know if the bullet will expand or not at that distance or slowed impact velocity. Or also where you would need to place it to aid in expansion. Bottom line, know how your bullet works and use it to your best advantage. A perfect scenario for me is to enter the crease behind the front shoulder and exit far shoulder. This will take out vital organs and drop the elk. He will now last long after a shot like this from my 300 win even at 800 or 1000 yards.

There are many good bullet to choose from if you apply how they work best for your type of hunting and use it to your advantage. But above all you need to place it well. For that you need accuracy at the longest distance you plan to shoot. To get proper placement at distance you may also encounter wind. It will be easier to place a higher BC bullet that will be less effected by wind so consider that too.

Hit them right and hit them hard with a big enough bullet to do the job as fast as it can.

Jeff