Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Weatherby vs. T/C vs. Browning?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2013, 08:52 AM
Bronze Member

Weatherby vs. T/C vs. Browning?

I'm looking for a new coyote rifle. I'v decided on the caliber: a 25-06, but I cant decide on the rifle. I'll be shooting exclusively moon dogs anywhere from 15 - 400 yards. I'm looking at the T/C Venture synthetic w/blued barrel and reciever. I'v heard of problems with these like the hogue traction panels peeling off and the recent recall on them, but it's the cheapest of the three at $480. The next is a Weatherby Vangaurd S2 synthetic also blued it's listed at $550. The last rifle is a Browning X-Bolt Hunter blued. This one has a satin finished walnut stock and it's listed at $760. I have never owned any of these rifles and have no experience with them so any experience, suggestions, and/or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
~ TJ
Old 10-13-2013, 11:17 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Weatherby vs. T/C vs. Browning?

I'm biased - I own a few Vanguards, and they all shoot very, very well. Every one of them, all the original "S1" version, shoots under an inch at 100 yards with factory ammo.

I see on Gunbroker that there are currently new S2 Vanguards in 25-06 for just a bit over $500. However, a previous Sub-MOA is at $400 (which is a steal since it has a better stock and used to be a $700 rifle), and a new Howa is $363.99 if you don't mind a 22 inch barrel. So, there are some bargains out there if you want to look for them.
Old 10-13-2013, 11:50 PM
Platinum Member

If you can find a new left-over Browning A-Bolt II, or a Weatherby S2, then I'd go that route.

I have a Weatherby Mark V Accumark in .257 Wby Mag, and it's nice.

I also have a Browning A-Bolt II Comp Stalker in 7mm RM, and the BOSS system. It kicks like a .243 with the BOSS on it. Anyone could shoot it. I highly recommend those, but if you shoot it, be sure to use plugs or muffs. Muzzle brakes amplify the sound substantially.

I don't care for Thompson rifles, unless it is one of their single-shot rifles.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:25 AM
Platinum Member

My vote is for the S2. I got one in 223 earlier this year and it shoots very well. On a breezy day @ 212 it gave me less than 1/2" of vertical dispersion and about an 1" of horizontal.

They are setup to have a pressure point at the end of the forearm. I sanded mine off to free float the barrel. The 2 stage trigger is a little heavy at just under 3 lb but very crisp.

I got mine new at the local Sportsmans Warehouse for $460.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 10-14-2013, 11:48 AM
Platinum Member

Like the others, I'd go with the Vanguard. I'm not sure just what the "S2" is, but know the standard model shoots very well.

Now your shooting coyotes after dark, and the ranges will decrease dramatically unless you shooting over snow on full moon nights. Then you might get 300 yards. I used to shoot a 6mm Remington in a couple rifles, and at night I rarely shoot more than 250 yards. Daytime shooting is a different ball game and the 25-06 will do well. You want a scope with a good light factor, and one you can see the cross hairs well in the low light. Something like a 6X-18X with a 50mm lens is about right. On the opposite side of this, I once shoot six or eight dogs over two nights at 350 yards using a very stiffly loaded .257 Roberts. There was about six inches of fresh snow on the ground with a full moon. The scope was a Leupold 2.5x-8x with the 36mm lens. The scope had a light factor of 4.5! Bullets were Nosler 100 grain BT's. @ 3,000fps. I think I missed two dogs over two days, but could see what and where I was shooting at very well. Not bad for twelve shots taking two deer and eight dogs.
gary
Old 10-14-2013, 01:07 PM
Platinum Member

If you're wanting it for deer and coyotes, I'd get the Weatherby S2 chambered in the .257 Wby Mag. And shoot the 110gr NAB's or Berger 115 VLD's.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:11 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
If you're wanting it for deer and coyotes, I'd get the Weatherby S2 chambered in the .257 Wby Mag. And shoot the 110gr NAB's or Berger 115 VLD's.
are you serious????? A .257mag won't kill a deer any deader than a .257 Roberts or even a 25-06 at a sane distance. A 25-06 or a .257AI are really better rounds. You dump 50% more powder to gain 100fps (3200fps verses 3300fps). Even a .257Ackley will hit the 3100fps mark with almost ten grains less powder than the 25-06! If it were me, I'd give the .250 Ackley a very serious look over. It'll push a 115 grain bullet to about 3000fps, and use less than half the powder that the .257mag uses. At 400 yards, no deer will ever know the difference.

But more importantly than the powder usage for what you get are things like barrel life, price per round, and case life, and the price of brass by itself. Then you look at the price of a set of dies themselves. Forster does catalog the .257AI as a standard die. The same can be said of the 25-06, and .257 Roberts. Plus you can shoot factory .257 Roberts rounds in the improved chamber.

gary