Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Weatherby Vanguard TR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2013, 10:46 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Weatherby Vanguard TR

I think in caliber Winchester 300 Mag a Vanguard would be a tough enough action..??
Old 09-01-2013, 01:47 PM
Silver Member

+ 1 Montana rifleman

Vanguard rifles are great. I have two plain janes in 308 win. One shoots ragged one hole groups out to 300 yds with factory ammo from hornady. Mark v have the shorter degree bolt throw, but other than that very reliable when comparing to other makes and models. I was able to pick up a third vanguard at Sportsmans warehouse for $340.00 this week. I have never personally seen one not shoot. They are still the best bargain out there... if you can find one. If you talk to a legit gunsmith who doesn't drink the 700 kool aid by the drum, they will tell you vanguard/howa actions come very precise with not a lot of slop to be worked out. They only need a stock change out and become a rifle you will grab often..
Old 09-01-2013, 03:44 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sully2 View Post
I think in caliber Winchester 300 Mag a Vanguard would be a tough enough action..??
Most definitely. The Vanguards are chambered in 300 WM, 300 WBY Mag, and 338 WM. However, IMO the actions are to short for handloading other than SAAMI spec COALs in those cartridges.

There is a small company in Germany that also chambers Howa actions for 338 Lapua, which has a slightly larger bolt face than the 378 Wby variants, but once again a bit short for that cartridge and the action was not (edit) designed for the increased bolt thrust... but none the less a good strong action for standard magnum cartridges.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 09-01-2013, 03:53 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
Most definitely. The Vanguards are chambered in 300 WM, 300 WBY Mag, and 338 WM. However, IMO the actions are to short for handloading other than SAAMI spec COALs in those cartridges.

There is a small company in Germany that also chambers Howa actions for 338 Lapua, which has a slightly larger bolt face than the 378 Wby variants, but once again a bit short for that cartridge and the action was designed for the increased bolt thrust... but none the less a good strong action for standard magnum cartridges.

No idea at this time just how far out I could seat slugs in a Vanguard...OR...just how large of a bullet I could use. I recently read a good article in American Rifleman that gave some eye opening info on the 300 at very long range...which told me that at "MY" long ranges they would be superb
Old 09-01-2013, 04:01 PM
Platinum Member

I started my Weatherby collection over 30 years ago. I didn't have much money, but I wheeled and dealed until I took a very nice used Vanguard Deluxe home in 20-06. The rifle was a 1/2 moa gun from the go with 85 gr Nosslers. It took many whitetail for me. Later the load changed to the 110 gr Accubond and that is the load for it today which it shoots equally well. No fancy work has been done to it. Just a little bedding in the front lug area of the factory stock, and free float on the barrel. I have since owned probably 100 Wby rifles. This included a collection of 5 panel Lazermarks from .224 to 460, an array of Accumark's and Deluxe's. I had a beautiful .308 Vanguard Deluxe with dark wood to die for. I rebarreled it to 6mm-284 and it drove tacks. That barrel is gone now and the rifle is rebarreled and restocked into my 6mm BR. The action is very smooth and the rifle shoots awesome. Of all these Wby's that have come and gone, only 3 remain in the safe. The Vanguard in 25-06, the 6 br and a stainless 340 in an oiled Lazermark stock. The Howa action is a very good action and I have yet to see one not shoot well.

Jeff
Old 09-01-2013, 04:10 PM
Platinum Member

"The Howa action is a very good action and I have yet to see one not shoot well."

THATS what a person wants to hear....Thanks
Old 09-01-2013, 04:13 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sully2 View Post
No idea at this time just how far out I could seat slugs in a Vanguard...OR...just how large of a bullet I could use. I recently read a good article in American Rifleman that gave some eye opening info on the 300 at very long range...which told me that at "MY" long ranges they would be superb
You can read the potential of the 300 WM by reading Broz' threads which are more credible to me than American Rifleman. With the right load(s) it is a fine 1K plus cartridge, although I am not a fan of the belted cartridges. You could load for single shot shooting in the longer cartridges but if I ever built anything again in the longer cartridges, I would use a custom action.

The longest cartridge I would use in a Howa action would be the 300 Dakota and even then you have to seat the longer bullets a little way into the case to get a repeater. It is possible to mil and stretch the mag box a little.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams