Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Weatherby Vanguard TR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2013, 06:55 PM
Platinum Member

Weatherby Vanguard TR

Anyone using one of these? Do they REALLY shoot 1 MOA or less or is that just a sale gimmick?

The "plain Jane version" has one heck of a price on it.....but if you cant hit a backstop at 100 yds...if it were free it would still be too $$

What say you Vanguard owners?
Old 08-31-2013, 08:31 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Weatherby Vanguard TR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sully2 View Post
Anyone using one of these? Do they REALLY shoot 1 MOA or less or is that just a sale gimmick?

The "plain Jane version" has one heck of a price on it.....but if you cant hit a backstop at 100 yds...if it were free it would still be too $$

What say you Vanguard owners?
3 Vanguards
1 Mark V

Mine are customized to my preferences but include many of the TRR features.

If I weren't an incorrigible builder I'd buy one.

Biggest advantage larger barrel diameter.
Old 08-31-2013, 08:56 PM
Silver Member

Please do not get me wrong here as I am a Weatherby only gunsmith. The Vanguard is a marketing firearm sold to boost profits. It is not USA made and it is not Weatherby design. It is Made by HOWA in JAPAN.
Once that is said it is a formidable action and is inherently accurate. It is not as strong or as good of engineering as the Mark 5.
For those that want to feel special owing a "weatherby" on the cheap I suppose it feels this void. ( it wasn't worth the capitalization)
Old 08-31-2013, 09:21 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by idaho elk hunter View Post
Please do not get me wrong here as I am a Weatherby only gunsmith. The Vanguard is a marketing firearm sold to boost profits. It is not USA made and it is not Weatherby design. It is Made by HOWA in JAPAN.
Once that is said it is a formidable action and is inherently accurate. It is not as strong or as good of engineering as the Mark 5.
For those that want to feel special owing a "weatherby" on the cheap I suppose it feels this void. ( it wasn't worth the capitalization)
It cant be any more of a "joke" that SPS Remingtons. I bought 2 of them....the first and the last ( thats makes 2 doesnt it???)

Where ( location) something is made doesnt mean diddle to me either...I look at what Im getting for the $$ I have to shell out for it. Win 101 shotguns were / are made in Japan...and they are good shotguns.

I do thank you for your input
Old 08-31-2013, 10:59 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by idaho elk hunter View Post
If you know much about the history of the Howa Vanguard actions, Weatherby contracted Howa, way back when, to build an economic introduction level rifle/action for Weatherby and to use the Mark V as the model. The Howa action does in fact have many of the same features as the Mark V, the main differences being the length (Howas are a little shorter) and the bolt. Both are one piece bolts but the Mark V's have the 6 and 9 little lug configurations which IMO are marketing gimmicks that leave a lot to be desired from a functional engineering point of view. I much prefer the beefy 3 lug bolts.

I don't buy Howas, Vanguards or any rifle to "feel special". I'm not that insecure. If I want a "special" action I would get a good custom action vs a factory mass produced product. That said the mass produced Vanguards serve me very well and I've done 2 builds on them so far with more planned.

As for strength and engineerig.... the Mark V's are a good strong action but how much stronger than a Howa is pure speculation.... which I doubt you have real data or basis to claim, just like you have no data to claim that a "7 RM can out pound a 300 WM".... just BS is all.

So, how exactly, are the Mark V's engineered any differently than the Howa's other than the itty bitty lugs?

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 09-01-2013, 12:49 AM
Gold Member

In Australia the Howa and Weatherby V are very popular as we find they shoot great. I have a 223 Howa and it's as accurate as my Sako's .
Try one I think you will be surprised at how good it is.
The original design came from an Australian company CMC who got Howa to build a rifle called the Australian CMC Mountaineer .
From that original design Howa in Japan now knocks off the Howa and Weatherby v and a few others .
The only thing I would like to see improved is Howa fit a Sako style extractor. .
Old 09-01-2013, 10:39 AM
Platinum Member

MontanaRifleman,
I believe that a few years back there was a heated debate on the strongest factory action on the market. After all the dust settled we had several very well known smiths give there opinion and crunch some numbers, and the Weatherby Mark V and the Sako (I think 85) came out as the strongest. I think that the main factor was the lug bearing surface and thickness as well as the barrel shank diameter... the only two safe actions to go for the .378 WBY case.
If I remember correctly the thread was around the time that Kirby was in the R&D stages of the Raptor, so he was heavily involved in the conversation.

Apart from those two actions I think that most others were a wash with there strengths and faults, but the HOWA/Vanguard, rem 700 and M70 were on top of the strength pile.