Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Weatherby Vanguard Series 2 questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2014, 02:36 PM
Bronze Member

Weatherby Vanguard Series 2 questions

So I have looked around the site and a lot of other places on the net and have a few questions regarding the vanguard s2. How positive is the sub-moa guarantee they come with? I really like that its not free-floated because it is less worry for me (no sweating on stock flex hitting barrel and changing POI) but I wonder if one can leave it non free float and be okay? That is my main concern. The rest are all minor. How are the triggers on the S2? My father has a original vanguard and its got some creep but not bad, wondering how much of an improvement the new trigger is. Last of all this will be chambered in 270 Win so there is not a varmint option, but from looking on line they appear to have a thicker contour than a standard sporter barrel. Is this true or just an illusion from the pics on the net? Havent got to handle one in person yet so I am just wondering if they are worth the trouble. If anybody has one they could post some pics of that would be great. Any info is appreciated guys because Im hopefully going to be getting a new rifle soon and safequeening my A-bolt Medallion for my son. Might not be able to talk the wife into another purchase any time soon either.
Old 02-12-2014, 02:52 PM
Gold Member

Re: Weatherby Vanguard Series 2 questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by boattailed bandit View Post
So I have looked around the site and a lot of other places on the net and have a few questions regarding the vanguard s2. How positive is the sub-moa guarantee they come with? I really like that its not free-floated because it is less worry for me (no sweating on stock flex hitting barrel and changing POI) but I wonder if one can leave it non free float and be okay? That is my main concern. The rest are all minor. How are the triggers on the S2? My father has a original vanguard and its got some creep but not bad, wondering how much of an improvement the new trigger is. Last of all this will be chambered in 270 Win so there is not a varmint option, but from looking on line they appear to have a thicker contour than a standard sporter barrel. Is this true or just an illusion from the pics on the net? Havent got to handle one in person yet so I am just wondering if they are worth the trouble. If anybody has one they could post some pics of that would be great. Any info is appreciated guys because Im hopefully going to be getting a new rifle soon and safequeening my A-bolt Medallion for my son. Might not be able to talk the wife into another purchase any time soon either.
Just to let you know, a non free floated rifle will have the stock rubbing up against the barrel messing with the harmonics of the barrel when its fired. If the stock warps any or flexs it will rub and push against the barrel even more, effecting accuracy and point of impact.
Old 02-12-2014, 03:04 PM
Bronze Member

Right, I knew it could, but my theory for less concern was the fact that if they guarantee sub-moa with a non-free float barrel then warp or flex may have less of an effect. I know there are lots of advantages of a free float barrel, its all Ive shot actually. I was just wondering if the weatherby might be more "user friendly."
Old 02-12-2014, 03:40 PM
Platinum Member

After my experience with SAKO/Beretta I will never trust another "factory accuracy guarantee" again. I ended up with a 2-4 MOA shooting SAKO M85 Finnlight that was sent back to them twice and twice they told me there was nothing wrong with it... told me the barrel was dirty which was total BS.

Bottom line, accuracy guarantees mean nothing. I liked it much better when Weatherby put in factory shot targets with their old SUB MOA rifles. They basically changed their old standard Vanguard line and called it the S2 Sub MOA rifle and what they used to call a Sub MAO rifle is now called the "Range Certified" rifle with a better B&C stock and target.

That said, you hear very few complaints about any of the Vanguards. As with any factory rifle it's a gamble, but IMO, less of a gamble than with most other factory sporters.

You can try shooting it non-floated, but your barrel and stock will react to changing environmental conditions which will cause variation in pressure at the pressure point, which will probably affect POI. I much prefer a free floated stock. I would also recommend selling the factory stock and replacing it with a B&C Medalist and bedding the action in it. It will be a great platform if and when you decide to rebarrel.

I like the new trigger a lot but can not be tuned down much below 2 1/2 - 3 lbs. It is a 2 stage, 3 position safety trigger which breaks very clean @ about 3lbs. My smith is going to try and get it down to 1 - 1 1/2 lbs. If it doesn't work, I'll replace it with a Timney.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 02-12-2014, 03:49 PM
Platinum Member

I'm going to take my Weatherby Mark V Accumark to my smith to have the bore scoped, with less than 200 rounds down it. It is NOT copper-fouled and this bore has so many tight-spots in it, that I've considered asking Weatherby for a full-refund. This gun shoots 1"-4" MOA, but should be shooting around half. Even with factory ammo. Sometimes I can't even run a jag and patch through it without having to hit the rod handle with my hand to get it move forward...

I am going to have my smith do a professional analysis of it, and get his thoughts on it. If it IS a bad barrel I will be sending it back to Weatherby. Weatherby seems to have very good customer service, but for a $2,100 MSRP rifle, I am NOT impressed.

Not trying to talk bad about weatherby, just letting you know that this can be a possibility, and something to watch out for.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 02-12-2014, 04:05 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boattailed bandit View Post
Right, I knew it could, but my theory for less concern was the fact that if they guarantee sub-moa with a non-free float barrel then warp or flex may have less of an effect. I know there are lots of advantages of a free float barrel, its all Ive shot actually. I was just wondering if the weatherby might be more "user friendly."
I know I will never hear the end of this, but to be honest, I'm not to impressed with Weatherbys. My Uncle would be hitting me over the head right now if he heard me say that. They have a very strong action, especially the Mark Vs but they are so expensive. Yea you're getting a good piece of wood that is finished nicely, but accuracy wise they are pretty average. Nothing is more user friendly about them then anything else. People treat Weatherbys like they are the gods of all rifles. They are nice but not leaps and bounds better than others in my opinion. The new Vanguard S2s are very nice but can't see spending close to $1000 on one.

My cousin has the standard Vanguard in .270 WSM that he got for a steal a few years ago, and I have a few reasons I don't care for it. Don't get me wrong, its very smooth. The problem is that its blueing is very thin on the barrel and is starting to thin after only a few years of use and it has been well taken care of. It also has the worst trigger on a hunting rifle I have ever felt, has a ton of creep and has to break at 6-7lbs. Weatherbys are known for their nice stock finish but this thing looks like it has a piece of balsa wood for a stock. I know its only the cheaper Vanguard but still not impressive for something that sells for $600 most of the time. Maybe the Series 2 will be better.
Old 02-12-2014, 04:59 PM
Silver Member

I had never owned a Weatherby until last spring when I decided that since I had given my Ruger Model 77 in 270 Winchester to my grandson, I needed another 270 Win. to shoot up the .277 bullets and 270 Win brass that I had
accumulated over the past 25 years.

I bought a Weatherby Vanguard Series 2 rifle in 270 Win and started to work up loads. I found the gun to be a bargain since I payed $499 at Bass Pro.
It has a number of features that I like, 24 inch barrel, a 3 position safety, and a good trigger. The trigger breaks at about 3 lbs which I found to be fine. The only thing I don't like about the gun is the weight, with the scope mounted it is over 9 lbs.

How does it shoot? I know that this is only one gun and I may have gotten a very good one and others will not do what mine will do, but this gun shoots very well for a $500 gun. I have found that it will shoot more than one bullet and one load into .5 or less for three shots.

Here are a couple of pictures of the rifle and a couple of targets.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Weatherby Vanguard Series 2 questions-270-nbt.jpg   Weatherby Vanguard Series 2 questions-270-w-6.jpg  

Weatherby Vanguard Series 2 questions-van-1.jpg   Weatherby Vanguard Series 2 questions-van-2.jpg