Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Weatherby Vanguard S2 Backcountry?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2013, 12:20 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Weatherby Vanguard S2 Backcountry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkup View Post
Supposedly, the m70 comes with the B&C stock with aluminum bedding block too.
Something else I'm considering is to get the m70 and have it cerakoted. If I did this, I'd still end up paying less than I would for the Vanguard II.
I didn't realize that. Sounds like a good deal. Looks like they have flutted barrels though. I have a Sako Finnlight with a flutted sporter barrel and won't get another. In fact no more fluted barrels for me period. They look nice but you will loose stiffness and in a sporter barrel I wouldn't want to loose stiffness. Same goes for the Back Country. That's another reason to go with the standard S2. And if you're going to CeraKote it, just get the standard non SS and save a few bucks.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 12-11-2013, 12:29 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
Don't forget the 5R MilSpecs in .308 and .300 WM. They're on the same quality as the Sendero.

I don't understand how people can say they have a bad experience with a Browning A-Bolt...I've shot a ton of them over the years and they were all tack-drivers, including the 2 I've personally owned. And everyone I know who owns or has owned a Browning of any sort has been impressed with its accuracy.
I don't have any experience with the Mil Specs but hear they are also good rifles. The Varmint series are also good. But the rest are hit and miss.

I don't have any experience with Brownings, but you just don't hear a lot about them in precision rifle circles and most smiths that have worked with them give them mediocre to less than favorable marks.

You just don't see people using Browning and Ruger actions very much for builds. Part of it is because of lack of after market parts and part is because they have some issues that don't make them friendly to work on.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 12-11-2013, 12:55 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
I don't have any experience with the Mil Specs but hear they are also good rifles. The Varmint series are also good. But the rest are hit and miss.

I don't have any experience with Brownings, but you just don't hear a lot about them in precision rifle circles and most smiths that have worked with them give them mediocre to less than favorable marks.

You just don't see people using Browning and Ruger actions very much for builds. Part of it is because of lack of after market parts and part is because they have some issues that don't make them friendly to work on.
I think you're exactly right about this! I do wish there was a bigger aftermarket support for the Brownings. My smith loves A-Bolt rifles. He says they're easy for him, because most of the time the recievers are virtually squared-up from the factory. Opening the bolt-face is as simple as swapping out the bolt head for $70. This is why I am considering my A-Bolt II 7mmRM as my .280 A.I. rifle, and keep the factory barrel and bolt head incase I want to swap it back to a magnum.

The Rugers DO have some issues that make them less-than-favorable to work on.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 12-12-2013, 12:07 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkup View Post
Supposedly, the m70 comes with the B&C stock with aluminum bedding block too.
The Winchester site doesn't specifically list the specifics of the B&C stock, so you may want to confirm before you buy. Not every B&C stock has the same amount of aluminum, if any. The one you buy from RedHawk or Stocky's has the full aluminum, while the Back Country for example only has aluminum at the "pillar" areas. It still works fine, but you should know this before you buy anything.

Other B&C stocks have no aluminum at all.

This is why the suggestion of a stainless S2 + an aftermarket B&C is likely your best and more cost efficient option.