Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Weatherby Vanguard S2 Backcountry?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2013, 12:34 AM
Bronze Member

Weatherby Vanguard S2 Backcountry?

Anybody have/use one of these for their hunting?
I have an opportunity to purchase one of these at an awesome price but can't seem to find too much information on them.
The couple reviews I've been able to find say I'd have to spend far more to get a rifle of noticeably higher quality.
Thanks.
Old 12-08-2013, 11:15 AM
Silver Member

Re: Weatherby Vanguard S2 Backcountry?

Depends on what the "awesome" price is. You might be just as well off buying an S2 and a Bell and Carlson stock to put on it. You'd be forgoing the cerakote and fluted barrel, of course....

No personal experience with them, and I love the concept, but it's hard for me to swallow their listed price.

But based on my experience w/ the standard vanguard s2, if it's truly a great price being offered to you, I'd jump on it.
Old 12-08-2013, 12:26 PM
Silver Member

I shoot Vanguards I actually made my own Backcountries due to the fact they do not offer them is a short action version. To build one yourself cost just about the same as a factory one. and you can go what ever colors and stocks you want. Mine are 308 and 243.
Old 12-08-2013, 09:19 PM

I have a Vanguard S2 in .308, and it is super accurate, with my hand loads. I like it so much I just bought another in .243 win, Which I havn't shot yet. I think the Vanguard S2 is an great rifle for the price. I say get it and enjoy shooting it.

barracudadave6
Old 12-08-2013, 11:46 PM
Platinum Member

I have the big brother to the S2 Backcountry...The Mark V Accumark in .257 Wby. And if the S2 Backcountry is 1/2 the rifle the Accumarks are, then you'll be happy with it. I have literally shot blades of grass in half @ 75 yards that were blocking my target (have a couple witnesses). I haven't had the chance to shoot any of the S2 Vanguards yet, but I haven't heard anything negative about them, other than needing a trigger job, which my Accumark is in desperate need of one. That's the only complaint I have about my Accumark, is that the factory trigger sucks. I've been wanting to buy a Jard setup for mine for a while.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 12-09-2013, 03:57 AM
Bronze Member

I just learned there's actually a few other rifles available to me right now in the same price range as the Weatherby.

I'd be curious to see what you think is the best value for $$$.

Weatherby Vanguard S2 Backcountry
Remington m700 CDL SF
Winchester m70 Extreme Weather SS
Savage 12 VLP DBM
Browning A-Bolt Stainless Stalker

After finding they're all in the same price bracket for me, I'm leaning less towards the Weatherby but thought I'd pitch it to you all as well.

Thanks for the replies and advice so far. This site is great!
Old 12-09-2013, 09:48 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkup View Post
I just learned there's actually a few other rifles available to me right now in the same price range as the Weatherby.

I'd be curious to see what you think is the best value for $$$.

Weatherby Vanguard S2 Backcountry
Remington m700 CDL SF
Winchester m70 Extreme Weather SS
Savage 12 VLP DBM
Browning A-Bolt Stainless Stalker

After finding they're all in the same price bracket for me, I'm leaning less towards the Weatherby but thought I'd pitch it to you all as well.

Thanks for the replies and advice so far. This site is great!
Here's how I would re-arrange your list, based on my personal experiences and preferences... With a few modifications, of course.

1) Remington m700 CDL SF
2) Browning A-Bolt Stainless Stalker
3) Weatherby Vanguard S2 Backcountry

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.