Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Weatherby Vanguard

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2014, 07:21 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Weatherby Vanguard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhwll View Post
Question - I'm looking at a Weatherby Vanguard and Thompson Center Dimention in 7mm mag. I would like to hear thoughts on these 2 rifles.
THANKS
The Dimension is absolutely the ugliest rifle currently made. You couldn't give me one for free. I said this when they came out and haven't changed my mind.

And yes, I own several Vanguards so I'm biased anyway. They've been made over 40 years and I will predict they will be around long after the Dimension production has ended.
Old 05-14-2014, 03:11 PM
Silver Member

I'm a Howa fanboi so I vote Weatherby. <3 So good.
Old 05-14-2014, 05:39 PM
Platinum Member

Id sure go with the Weatherby as my first choice
Old 05-15-2014, 01:09 AM
Silver Member

Even the T/C Icon have have is far from pretty. I sneak it to the range so no one will notice..lol. That said it seems to be a well built gun that will stand the test of time. The Vanguard I believe is one of the best values going for a rifle built to last and has a good choice of aftermarket parts available for it. If it had a mag length of 3.600 in Long action and offer choices in bbl length; I think it would outsell the lower end Rem 700's. I know I like it way better than the 700 SPS's.
Old 05-15-2014, 09:53 AM
Platinum Member

The Vanguard (and Howa) certainly have plenty of after market options.
Stocks
Barrels
Triggers
Firing pin/spring upgrades
Drop Box Magazine systems

They don't need "truing" (IMO).

The S2 is much better than the S1, a buddy now has 3 S2s to my 3 S1s. His shoot nearly as well as my, now custom, as in all that is left is the action, bolt and trigger guard and semi custom, as in still has the original barrel which will be changed when it stops shooting sub 1/2MOA.

Right now I'm much more into Mark Vs and I'm using some R700 actions for my 26 Nosler based wildcats. I'd much rather use Vanguard S2s but I'm using take off barrels to cut costs and as testing/fire forming platforms.
Old 05-15-2014, 09:54 AM
Platinum Member

Oh, please:

Anyone know the maximum magazine length of a Long Action Vanguard S2?
Old 05-15-2014, 10:31 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhwll View Post
Hello I've been visiting the site over the last few months and just signed up. It is great for a green horn like myself to have all the experience from members to learn from.
Question - I'm looking at a Weatherby Vanguard and Thompson Center Dimention in 7mm mag. I would like to hear thoughts on these 2 rifles.
THANKS
brother inlaw has th,at Thompson in 7mm and 30-06, plus a custom .338-06 barrel.

Shoots well, but won't shoot as well as the Vanguards I've been around. Nice thing about the Thompson is they are easy to work with. Hate they way they cut the stock.

I have one synthetic stock Vanguard, and a wood stocked one. I like the wood stocked rifle much better for fit and feel. Can really tell a difference in the way the recoil transfers with it, plus for some odd reason that stock has never moved in thirty years of ownership. It'll shoot 3/4" groups with 150 grain Remington factory ammo out of the box. I know of at least one 25-06 wood stocked Vanguard that shot a tick over a half inch (5 shot groups) with generic bullets in hand loads. That rifle would probably drop another .10" off the group size with better bullets and dies alone. Shooter did virtually zero load development, and just picked a load out of the Hornaday manual.

gary