Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

weatherby or tika

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-14-2010, 10:28 PM
Gold Member
Re: weatherby or tika

I have both weatherbys and tikkas and both are good rifles. If it was me I would go with the weatherby and I have also dealed with their customer service and its awesome. I had a weatherby mkv ultra light weight in .270 weatherby mag. that wouldnt shoot and they gave me a new stock free of charge and turnaround was like a week and a half. Good luck!

Unread 01-14-2010, 11:46 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by retiredcpo View Post
dr vette
thanks for the great info
by light weight i was mearly refering to a more carry weighted gun vise the heavy barreled long range guns. something comfortably to carry by a sling all day.
I was telling him the same thing about the weatherby stock.
I sugestged it would be better to start with a good stock insted of the added cost of replacing it latter.\
I really like the look of the weatherby
Dad and I carried our Mark V Weatherbys for our elk hunt this fall (5 days) and had no problems at all. He has a Bell & Carlson stock (same brand as on the Sub-MOA, I believe) and I've got the Fibermark.

Here's Dad with his rifle and his 4x4 from this past fall:

Oh, and a secret to carrying all day in the field? We use the (original) Ultraflex slings available at No comparison to any other I've tried or owned. And no, I don't have any interest in the company - just a satisfied customer.
Unread 01-15-2010, 12:17 AM
Gold Member

The Weatherby is no lightweight. And accuracy with the Howa-built Weatherby is always a crap shoot.

Tikka T3 and Browning A Bolt both come in as accurate hunting rifles. Easy to carry and high satisfaction marks from both from a wide variety off customers.

I've been a Browning fan for a long time. Never found one that wouldn't shoot.
And from what I hear Tikka's are just as good.
+1 for 300 WSM. A very popular 30 cal...good for everything.

Unread 01-15-2010, 10:09 PM
Silver Member

Can't go wrong with a T3 in my opinion. I had a T3 Lite in stainless (300WSM) that shot under 1 MOA with factory ammo (Rem Premier 180gr Scirocco, and Federal 180gr Hi-shok). Smooth action, 2-4lb adjustable trigger, lightweight, etc. Shooting under 1 MOA with a Tikka using various factory loads doesn't seem too uncommon in whatever cartridge. The forums are full of people reporting the same.

Not trying to bash the Weatherby, but isn't the MOA just a Howa in a different stock? I distinctly remember a rifle or hunting magazine testing the MOA and they noted that the rifle would not shoot under 1 MOA. I was surprised that they wrote that since many magazines seem to suck-up to the manufacturers. I also recall reading posts from MOA owners who stated the same... the rifle failed to meet the Weatherby claim. Maybe the magazine testers and forum guys didn't try enough loads or it was operator error. It just seems like the interweb is full of happy Tikka owners who report that the T3 seems accurate with various factory loads. You don't need to find a pet load, and they literally seem accurate from the very first round (really no break-in period).

I've never owned a MOA or Weatherby, but do know that the T3 is really popular. Most every owner reports excellent accuracy. The major complaint seems to be the synthetic stock, but I think its comfortable and relativley durable for the price.

The Tikka may not meet everyone's requirement, but I have heard that it is now one of the most popular hunting rifles based on sales in the US now. I know my local gun store sells a lot of them, and they say its by far the best seller. I've never heard that claim made about a Howa or a Weatherby. Not to say those rifles aren't nice, but there must be a reason why there are a lot of Tikkas sold these days. I think its because of the great accuracy, lightweight compared to the competition, and price. Add-in a smooth action and crisp 2lb trigger with little or no over-travel and how can you go wrong for $500-600? Really, what rifle offers those features for $500?

Last edited by 4th_point; 01-15-2010 at 10:23 PM.
Unread 01-15-2010, 10:19 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by retiredcpo View Post
I am helping a buddy put together a light weight rifle
he keeps getting conflicting advice fro the sales guys
I told him htis would be the place to get good advice.
1- which would be better weatherby sub moa or a tika or sako?
2- is there a big advantage for using the short mag rounds?
(270 short mag vice 270, 300 short mag vice 300 win mag)
3 which would be a better choice for caliber 270 264 300

shooting will be no farther than 500 yards on deer,elk,bear and antilope.
retired cpo
They are all good choices so tell him to buy the one that he likes the best.

The weatherby vanguard is the best buy @ less than $400.00 and the long action would \
be my choice because if he ever decides to re barrel the long action will give him more choices
in the future.

And of coarse the short actions are handier for carrying and in box stands.

Unread 01-15-2010, 10:32 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by 4th_point View Post
I also recall reading posts from MOA owners who stated the same... the rifle failed to meet the Weatherby claim. Maybe the magazine testers and forum guys didn't try enough loads or it was operator error.
Weatherby recently said on their forum that they have replaced a total of ten (10) Sub-MOA rifles for not meeting the claim. Apparently these "magazine testers and forum guys" have never contacted Weatherby.

Your bias shows, and I'm sure mine does too. But, that's OK.
My 7 Weatherbys and I are happy.
I've never owned or shot the Tikka but I've looked at several as well as spent time at the SHOT show looking at them and comparing many, many rifles.
Unread 01-15-2010, 11:07 PM
Bronze Member

I have 3 Weatherby Vanguards and like all of them. Have never owned a Tika or a Sako, but why when you can get a rifle like the Vanguard. All of mine are very accurate and handle very well. I have one in 30 06, 7mmRem Mag & 300 Win Mag, don't like the short mags, market gemic to try and help boost sales. There is mor short mags for sale now than I have ever seen.
Turn Adversity Into Advantage