Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

View Poll Results: weatherby rifles
opinions on weatherby rifles 69 88.46%
reply 9 11.54%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Weatherby rifles and cartridges

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-02-2004, 03:59 PM
Re: Weatherby rifles and cartridges

Who makes the weatherby rifles now.
I know they have been made by several arms
manufactures around the world.
weatherby is a trade mark name not a manufacter of guns???? right or wrong????

Unread 12-03-2004, 01:47 PM

Last I heard they were manufactured by Saco. Which is in the U.S. I own two Weatherby's and they are both MOA rifles with Federal and Winchester loads. I'm extremely satisfied with mine. Its only in the last decade or so that bullet design have caught up to the velocity that these cartridges deliver. They're are certainly nicer rifles out there both in the custom and semi-custom worlds. I wish I had the income, and the patience to afford a Jarrett, Mcmillian/Harris or custom rifle. I can't. So I simply bought the very best I could afford and that was Weatherby. No regrets.
Unread 12-19-2004, 11:22 PM

i have owned 4 weatherbys. i now own one of the ultralights in 30-06. it shoots moa or less with 165 federal premium ballistic tips. the other three were finicky with what they shoot well and i got tired of looking for the magic bullet for each gun. browning a-bolts are the ticket for me now. got my kids a 243 for christmas and shooting walmart ammo could cover 5 shots with a quarter. and it was at least $600 less than the weatherbys
Unread 12-20-2004, 01:33 PM

For me the secret for MOA was using the bullet weight the factory used in the test target with the rifle. Then you just find which brand and type of bullet the rifle liked best.
Unread 12-20-2004, 04:38 PM
Silver Member

Hi there Hired Gun,

Thats one hell of an impressive group!
Do you reload your own or is that factory ammo?
If you do reload, may I ask for your recipe please.

Also, what is the procedure for posting pics with your posts on this site.
Unread 12-20-2004, 09:37 PM
Platinum Member

I published it here.
Please work up to it slowly and be sure to only use real Weatherby brand brass. I have a very loose old German rifle so I don't know if you will need this much powder to get 3300 out of yours. I would stop at 3300 if you have a 26" barrel. Mine is only 23" and if you subtract th open chambered area under the magnaporting it really is only 21 1/2". To post a picture use brackets [img]....[/img] with the www address to you hosted picture where the periods are. No spaces. You must go host your pictures somewhere like or Then just use the brackets to post them.

Here is that old sharpshooter. The guy I got it from could hardly keep it on the paper and sold it to me for $295. He said Weatherby's really aren't very accurate (freebore, skinny barrel yadda yadda) and went back to his 270. He thought it might be shot out too. All I did was mount a Leupold scope on it and loaded up some shells. He did finally admit he might have had a bit of a flinch shooting it. Now the truth comes out. The bore is smooth and the rifling in the throat is perfect. Looks like it's never been shot. It still is originally bedded on the naked wood stock just how it was made. Not even free floated. Factory 2 pound trigger hasn't been touched either. I originally planned to rebarrel it but I think it's just fine like it is now.
Some kids want to be a fireman or a doctor to help people. I wanted to be a gunsmith.

NRA Life Member and I vote.

Only accurate rifles are interesting.

Gordy and Brady.
Unread 12-21-2004, 02:58 PM
Bronze Member

If you are looking to...dollars out....accuracy in...forget Weatherbys.

I am not anti Weatherby. In fact I have just had a pair of 378 upgraded Deluxes arrive to the gunshop via the Weatherby agent and each of them cost $5250AUS = $4000US

But if I wanted the most accurate 378s possible then Weatherby Mark Vs would not have been ordered.

Over the years I have owned 18 Weatherbys and also at the same time I have had many bench style rifles on the Rem 700, mainly in 6mm/06, 270 and 300 Win as well as several rifles with medium heavy barrels, Jewell triggers etc.

The Weatherby is probably like buying a Chev Corvette and the Rem 700 based rifles are like buying a much cheaper car and then hotting it up. The result will beat the Corvette easiliy. But which would rather own? In many ways the answer to that question will depend on the stage of life you are at etc and etc.