Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

View Poll Results: weatherby rifles
opinions on weatherby rifles 69 88.46%
reply 9 11.54%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Weatherby rifles and cartridges

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2004, 05:00 PM
Silver Member

Weatherby rifles and cartridges

I was just looking over the Weatherby site, pretty interesting stuff. My only question is, how do they perform. Mainly I would be lookng at an Accumark or maybe the stainless fibermark. Any experiences with these rifles. Would it be worth it to go with the sub-moa package? Now on to cartridges, looking at the family of Weatherby magnums, I'm most attracted to the 257 or 270 Weatherby's. Any preferences? It looks like the 270 packs a little more power, and the bullets have a little more BC behind them. Again, any insight is helpful.
Old 11-02-2004, 07:30 PM
Silver Member

Re: Weatherby rifles and cartridges

I have enjoyed my 257 Acumark. After the 15th I hope to report how it does on white tails, but so far it has done well on paper and clay pigions. When I first got it I bought a box of each of the loads that Weatherby offers and found the 115 grain X bullet grouped the best. I believe that this is due to the fact that Weatherby has freebore to reduce pressure and Barnes asks you to load their bullets .050" off of the lands. The design requirements for the bullet seems to match the design of the barrel.

Good luck with your project.
Old 11-02-2004, 09:49 PM
Silver Member

I am sure that I will catch a lot of flack on this one but here goes, a Weatherby rifle is exactly like owning a Harley-Davidson motorcycle. if you are into the GLAM. and social scene they are great. If you are into what really works awesome without the fanfare you will look elsewhere IMHO
B
Old 11-02-2004, 09:55 PM

the wby cartridges are about as good as they come. somer are faster but they are good. my dad shot a big bodied muley buck and he gave up the ghost at 366yrds with a 130TSX. i dont care for their rifles but a re-barreled 700 in 257 or 270 would be the $hit.
Old 11-04-2004, 09:04 AM
Silver Member

I've shot 3 different Mark Vs and I've been around quite a few others, they are the most accurate Factory Rifles I've ever dealt w/. Some claim the Weatherbys will not shoot worth a flip but, I beg to differ. The Weatherby's I've shot, shot better than any of my Remington, Savage, and Browning Factory rifles.

When a rifle will shoot factory ammo at less than a inch at 200 yards, that says something.

IMO you would have a better range of capability w/ the 270 Weatherby Mag. You would have a better selection of bullets and you could take any game animal in the NA cont.

Good Luck!

Reloader
Old 11-04-2004, 03:46 PM
Silver Member

I have never shot any Weatherby before, but they also make the Vanguard rifle, which is a cheaper price...I don't know how that performs compared to the other Weatherbys, however.
Old 11-04-2004, 04:41 PM
Platinum Member

Many years ago I got caught up in the Weatherby zip & glitz Mark V rifles. The wood stocks would move (warp, swell or what-have-you) almost every year causing the pressure points to create major accuracy problems. I have sent the rifles back to Weatherby on more than one occasion. Weatherby did correct the pressure point problems but the accuracy would not hold from season to season.

Eventually, I brought the rifle to Wally Hart. I had him float the barrel and bed the action. Boy did that turn out to be a bad move. The rifle shot so poorly that I eventually sent it back to Weatherby again. They would not work with the hogged out stock and recommended a replacement. You can imagine what that cost. I had them install a new stock and sold the rifle at a significant loss.

Weatherbys that have thin barrels, pressure points and wood stocks will never find there way back into my rifle cabinet.

I might add that Hart scoped the bore and told me that it was loaded with tool marks.

Just my experience with Weatherby rifles.

VH