Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Weatherby MkV gunsmiths?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2005, 08:41 AM
Bronze Member

Weatherby MkV gunsmiths?

Just curious if any gunsmiths accurize these rifles? I read the MkV trigger thread below and I see 338thunder has run with an idea I have always had - long barrelled, TTR stocked 338-378. Is it the expense of Weatherby rifles, their design differences, or their lack of use in competition that precludes many gunsmiths from working on them - other than trigger work and rebarrelling? Or the combination of all three?

Also 338thunder, did you buy a regular 338-378 MkV rebarrel it and add a TTR stock from Weatherby? I always assumed Bell and Carlson made the stock but could never locate the source of it.
Old 09-27-2005, 05:33 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Re: Weatherby MkV gunsmiths?

Kobra,

I guess I will be the first of the smiths on this board to offer my opinion on the Wby MkV.

There is a reason they are not used widely by top smiths, frankly, their design does not lend to consistant extreme accuracy compared to the likes of the Rem 700, M70 and even Savage receiver.

There is only so much you can do with a Wby MkV as far as accurizing the receiver and at times even fully accurized rifles on these receivers do not perform as they should.

Cost is not prohibitive if they were able to produce extreme accuracy rifles. Hell, look at the cost of the BAT and NEsika receivers, makes a Wby look relatively cheap but in those cases its money well spent. In my opinion, there are several other receivers that rank far ahead of the Wby for custom building.

There is a reason the Rem 700 is the most widely used factory action for custom rifles. The reason is accuracy and strength. There is also a reason why the Wby is not as popular, it just simply is not as consistant.

Not to say an accurate rifle can not be built on a Wby receiver, hardly the case, just much more likely to get your moneys worth with a Rem 700 instread!!

Just one smiths opinion, I am sure others will differ.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 09-28-2005, 08:06 AM
Bronze Member

Well Fiftydriver that is pretty much the answer I expected. I view enough of these different forums (wife says too many) to have noticed most use the three you named. At present all I have myself is Rem 700's.

So just to further my curiosity what is the inconsistent element in the Weatherby's - lug design or receiver design assuming the barrel and the trigger have been replaced/reworked?

My main interest in Weatherby's has always been 30-378 and 338-378 as I would prefer to dabble in 240, 257, and 270 wby's with Rem actions. My dealer back home has a Sako in .30-378, how well does that action accurize?

Thanks for feeding my curiosity.
Old 09-28-2005, 07:22 PM
Gold Member

The Sako's are better than the Weatherbys.....but if you want a 30-378 or a 338-378, why not do them on a Remington?
Old 09-30-2012, 11:07 PM

Google Remington under fire !
Old 09-30-2012, 11:20 PM
Gold Member

Ive had 3 in 257 weatherby that were accurate as any custom rifle. I have one now that will shoot an honest .120 all day long with factory 80 gr TTSX all been done is I bedded the rifle with glass and put a zeiss on it................
Old 10-03-2012, 06:54 PM
Gold Member

Bell and Carson do the stock you can get it at Stocky's. Rob Turner down in Austin Texas is the best I know of.