Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Which Weatherby Mark V rifles can be used to build a .338 Lapua?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2013, 10:46 PM

Re: Which Weatherby Mark V rifles can be used to build a .338 Lapua?

I just did what you are talking about doing, I bought a mark v weathermark for $800 it was a 300 wby. I ordered the mag box, the follower and the extractor from wby for another $100. Add in a new stock for $400. I went with a bartlien 1 in 9.3 twist 338 barrel carbon wrapped by proof research that finished up at 27.5 inches, and a muscle brake style titanium brake. We chambered it to 338-378 wby but with no freebore. i went with this chamber choice for the reasons mentioned before and also because the guys I shoot with shoot lapuas and lapua improveds. I have been very impressed with their rifles and I don't think my choice is better but it is "different" and so we still have something to argue about! I am only 9 shots in and the weather has been to cold to get out much, but I will say the chrono numbers were even better than I had hoped! Time will tell if I made the right choice but for now it is fun to find out. With the cost involved the accu mark in 338-378 may be the best place to start, at least you could play with this caliber while you gather all the parts for the rest of the build . good luck to you.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:37 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Which Weatherby Mark V rifles can be used to build a .338 Lapua?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuxta View Post
I really appreciate that advise I don't want to compromise accuracy or distance. Before I joined what I had in mind is a mark v .338 lapua, stainless steel 28 to 30" barrel, very little contour, fluted, with a fat bastard muzzle brake,viper optics, and a wildcat style thumb hole laminated stock and a bi-pod. At the price for the brass and the amount that I shoot, the extra expense in the rifle will quickly equal out in brass.

For more information on this, Do a Search for = Autorotate under Threads and he has one with lots of details.

J E CUSTOM