Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Which Weatherby Mark V rifles can be used to build a .338 Lapua?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2013, 12:54 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Which Weatherby Mark V rifles can be used to build a .338 Lapua?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
I agree with the .338-378 Wby Mag comment.....More velocity, and ammo is about the same price, PLUS, no gunsmithing, other than buying a barrel, unless you haven't bought a rifle yet.

If you haven't bought a rifle yet, order a Mark-V AccuMark in .338-378 Wby Mag w/ AccuBrake. You will be pleasantly surprised.

I want a .30-378 Wby Mag bad, for long range whitetail hunting.
Can you buy these without the accubrake barrel? i dont intend to keep the barrel or the stock. I will put these on ebay or something. If i could find an action only that would be great, hell just the receiver would be nice i can buy a bolt. Cost is an issue but only a small one I am willing to pay for what I want weather or not it takes longer to build i have nothing but time. i wish i could find more information about the .338-378. Am I just hopping on the Lapua train?
Old 02-21-2013, 01:00 PM
Platinum Member

How much for the barrel w/ AccuBrake & stock?

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:02 PM
Platinum Member

I have never been a "go with the grain" type of person...So I always owned oddball calibers. Like my 7mmSTW, .257 Wby Mag, 7mm-08 (back when I bought it, it wasn't very popular), etc...

So, if I were to jump on the big-bore magnum train it would probably be a .375 Cheytac.

I do plan on a Noreen ULR .50 BMG soon, just to have for fun.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:19 PM
Bronze Member

I guess a lot of the reason i want a lapua is because I have never seen one so it is kind of against the grain around here. There aren't many places to shoot 1000 yds much less hunt. I love my .257 roberts it is a custom sporter built on a mauser 98. Most people cock their head to the side when i say .257 and more when i say roberts. haha and whenever i start the build and whatever i decide to buy i will let you know how much for stock and or barrel
Old 02-21-2013, 01:27 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme View Post
Weatherby sells the 338 lapua in the mark v accumark. Buy one you will love it.but to be fair i also own a few accumarks in ==338/378 cal. And 30/378 and love them also.
between the lapua and the 338-378 aside from recoil what are the pros and cons of each in your experiences?
Old 02-21-2013, 01:39 PM
Gold Member

With a good brake on a 338 Lapua and a 338-378 you really can't even tell the difference.
I have shot extremely accurate with 338-378's and 300 gr SMK even in a stock accumark rifle .3's the bigger weatherby round is definitely going to shoot flatter and have considerably more energy. I would go min 28 inch barrel plus brake.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:49 PM
Gold Member

RL25 worked extremely well in my 338-378's I had the best velocity, lowest ES and great accuracy with it. Along with that I use Fed 215 primers.