Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Weatherby Mark V Giving me fits. Keep it or trade?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2005, 07:44 AM
Silver Member

Re: Weatherby Mark V Giving me fits. Keep it or trade?

The reason I asked if it was over travel, is this can't be removed from a Weatherby trigger. If there's slack and creep that can be adjusted out. Have you adjusted the trigger at all?

You mentioned in your first post, that you bought a B&C stock for it. Have you bedded the stock? If not, I would bed the stock see if there's improvement. If so, then I would float the barrel, if shooting improves cool, if not just re-bed the barrel. If you kept the original stock, you can always put it back into that stock and send it back to Weatherby.

What loads have you tried? Seat your bullets out as far as your magazine will allow. If you don't use a magazine, seat the bullet to touch the lands. What I do on my Weatherby's is to seat to touch the lands and only load two rounds. The round in the magazine, the feed ramp allows for extra COL.

Just some options.

Jim
Old 01-01-2005, 08:47 AM
Platinum Member

I've owned several Weatherby Mark V rifles. I was drawn to them because of the left hand actions and high velocity cartridges. All of them were inconsistent shooters. My Mark V's all had wood stocks which would walk/warp from season to season. Rifles were sent back to Weatherby several times. Accuracy improvements were noted after the return but would not last.

I even had Hart bed and free float one rifle. BIG mistake. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] Accuracy was much worse and I had to have Weatherby replace the stock and original pressure points.

This may not be fair to say but I would NEVER own another Weatherby rifle. A plain Jane Remington 700 with a little work will outshoot the Weatherbys almost every time. For $50 Neil Jones will completely rework a Rem trigger and can bring them safely down to 2lbs. Any decent smith can true up a Rem action. According to my smith, the 9 locking lugs on a Mark V are a horror show to work with. There is also no need for the 9 tiny lugs.

Keep the scope - dump the rifle before you put too much money into it that you'll never get back.

Just my 2 cents - VH
Old 01-01-2005, 09:00 AM
Bronze Member

The Weatherby trigger (unless it is a very old Wby) needs he trigger return spring replaced.This requires the trigger assembly to be removed and the trigger to be disassmembled. Removing the trigger can be hard as it is on super tight.

Once done most Wbys with a combination of the sear engagement and weight of pull adjustments will come down to 1 pound or so with good reliability. Both adjustments can be made with the rifle assembled.

Wby actions can shoot extremely well and I
suspect that at least one lug of each of the banks is bearing and gives a tripod effect.

One problem with some factory Wbys is a combination of the freeboe dianteter being to large and a very thing barrel of only average quality.

Mike
Old 01-01-2005, 09:32 AM
Bronze Member

Thanks for the advice. If I do sell it I would probably get a Remington Sendero stainless in 300 Winchester. It has the kind of barrel and stock that I'm looking for. Anyone have any experience with this gun good or bad?

Ben
Old 01-01-2005, 09:41 AM
Silver Member

I've floated and bedded probably 20-25 Weatherby's over the years and never had any problems. I'm not sure who your gunsmith is/was, but I have never heard about the locking lugs before. My gunsmith, Howard Dietz, has never said anything like that to me.

Again, the only problems I've ever had was out of two UL Accumarks, all my others have shot at least 1 MOA or better. The regular Accumarks have shot much better than that. I just got in a 338-378 Accumark and we'll see how it does.

I'll post the results. If I were going to build a LR rifle, I would not choose a Weatherby action, just because of expense, I would go with a custom action at that price. Otherwise, I would use a Remington or Winchester.

Weatherby hasn't been in business for nearly 60 years for no reason. They make a fine rifle, albeit more expensive, and they have a good reputation.

FWIW,

Jim
Old 01-01-2005, 09:44 AM
Silver Member

Remington Senderos are great rifles. Are you looking at the VSSF or the regular Sendero? I've never had one in 300WM, but I have had two in 7 STW, both were extremely accurate. For what you're trying to do, I think the Sendero would suit better than an UL Weatherby.

Good luck, and load a lot of practice ammo!

Jim
Old 01-01-2005, 10:37 AM
Bronze Member

Thanks Jim.

Being winter I do, after all, have time on my side. I think I may put the Weatherby up for sale. If I can get at least $500 for it I think I'll dump it and try the Sendero or something similar. I have a stock 700BDL in .243 that will shoot 5/8" groups whenever I'm up to doing my part. So I kind of have some faith in the Remingtons. And the Sendero is already about what I'm looking to turn this Weatherby into.

Can anyone think of other similar guns that I should be looking at? Basically my criteria are: composite stock, good long-range caliber (270wby, 300WM, 7mm STW, any of the new short wonder mags, etc.), a long -preferably fluted- barrel. Basically something that can shoot reliably out to 400 yards. Realistic price range is up to about $1500 for the gun (I already have the scope for it). And I need to be able to get it to shoot under 3/4moa with handloads.

Thanks,

Ben