Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Weatherby Mark V Giving me fits. Keep it or trade?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2004, 05:56 PM
Bronze Member

Weatherby Mark V Giving me fits. Keep it or trade?

Hi,

I'm looking for any thoughts anyone may have on what I should do with a gun I'm working with. I recently picked up a used Weatherby Mark V in 270wby. I had planned on using is as my longer range gun for hunting out west (antelope, mule deer, caribou, goats, sheep, etc.). I paid $900 for it with a Leupold Vari-X III in 4.5x-14x. So, I figure I have about $750 into the gun itself (adding the $250 I paid to get a Bell and Carlson stock for it).

But the gun just isn't shooting well. I get about 3" groups at 100 yards with just about every handload I try (mostly 150gr Sierra bullets with either H4381 or IMR7828 powder). I'm thinking about having a Krieger barrel put on it, but am trying to decide whether it's worth putting $400 to $500 more into this gun, or whether I should just dump it and get something else. I like the caliber, so I'd kind of like to get it working. I'll be satisfied if I can get it to shoot 3/4" at 100 yards. (It's not a bench rest gun after all.)

One thing I know I don't like about it is that the trigger is pretty mushy. Does anyone know if Shilen, Timney, Jewell, or anyone else makes a good aftermarket trigger for the Mark V's?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Ben
Old 12-31-2004, 06:04 PM
Gold Member

Re: Weatherby Mark V Giving me fits. Keep it or trade?

[ QUOTE ]
Hi,

I'm looking for any thoughts anyone may have on what I should do with a gun I'm working with. I recently picked up a used Weatherby Mark V in 270wby. I had planned on using is as my longer range gun for hunting out west (antelope, mule deer, caribou, goats, sheep, etc.). I paid $900 for it with a Leupold Vari-X III in 4.5x-14x. So, I figure I have about $750 into the gun itself (adding the $250 I paid to get a Bell and Carlson stock for it).

But the gun just isn't shooting well. I get about 3" groups at 100 yards with just about every handload I try (mostly 150gr Sierra bullets with either H4381 or IMR7828 powder). I'm thinking about having a Krieger barrel put on it, but am trying to decide whether it's worth putting $400 to $500 more into this gun, or whether I should just dump it and get something else. I like the caliber, so I'd kind of like to get it working. I'll be satisfied if I can get it to shoot 3/4" at 100 yards. (It's not a bench rest gun after all.)

One thing I know I don't like about it is that the trigger is pretty mushy. Does anyone know if Shilen, Timney, Jewell, or anyone else makes a good aftermarket trigger for the Mark V's?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Ben

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry to hear that.

A Jewell trigger is as good as it gets. Shilen is supposed to be good as well..sakofan..
Old 12-31-2004, 07:21 PM
Silver Member

First thing, mail it to Weatherby to make good on their 1.5 moa guarantee. Second, there is only one company who makes a Weatherby trigger: Jard Trigger . I have never used them, so I can't say for sure.

It's hard to get the "mushiness" out of a Weatherby trigger, since it's also the bolt release.

JMO,

Jim
Old 12-31-2004, 08:31 PM

I have had two Mark V's worked over by Kevin Knight at High Performance Gunsmithing in Montana www.muzzlebrake.com - Kevin has recrowned, bedded,free floated,lapped the barrels and tuned the trigger on both. Both triggers are stock Weatherby and are a crisp 2.5# pull. Both of these rifles were very finicky beforehand although not as bad as you describe.

I have since found that my 7mm wby likes a bit of pressure on the forend of the barrel to really maintain accuracy while the .300 likes the free float. Both are shooting sub-MOA.

My recommendations would start with bedding the action and floating the barrel, along with getting your trigger tuned up - or as was mentioned, send it to Weatherby to have them address the issue.

Good luck.
Old 12-31-2004, 09:07 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks for all the replies. I've thought about floating the barrel. Problem is this one has that thin #1 contour barrel. I'm worried about whip if I try to float it, having heard horror stories about floating a barrel that thin.

I've thought about sending it back to the factory. Problem is that getting it to shoot 1.5" groups doesn't really get my anywhere. If this is really going to be a long range gun then 1.5moa doesn't cut it.

I'm thinking I may just spend the money and get the good barrel for it. At that point I'll have a chunk of change into it, but could have a gun with the heavy 28" Krieger barrel that I would ultimately like to have for long range.

It would be nice to get some work done on that trigger though. I don't mind triggers that are a bit heavy. But mush and creep drive me crazy.

Ben
Old 01-01-2005, 05:32 AM
Silver Member

Is this rifle an UL Accumark? I've had two of those and neither shot very well.

Also, on your long range rifle, why would you want a #1 contour barrel? Too light for my taste for longe range, would make areal nice stalking rifle though.

Have you adjust the trigger on your Weatherby yet? My have never had any creep. Is the mushiness your talking about, overtravel?

Whatever you decide, good luck with it.

Jim
Old 01-01-2005, 07:06 AM
Bronze Member

Hi Jim,

I tend to agree about the #1 barrel being too light. Unfortunately I've never worked with a rifle designed for long-range accuracy, so I'm kind of learning as I go here. (Here in VT it's hard enough to find a range where you can even shoot over 200 yards.) So I'm thinking I will bite the bullet and get the heavier barrel.

As far as the trigger, by mushy I mean that when you squeeze it it's like pushing against a rubber band that breaks somewhere in the middle. Don't think it's over travel. On my Remington 700 I have it set so that it gives about 3oz. of resistance, but there's almost no movement before the trigger breaks. As a result it feels clean and crisp, which I like. I suspect if I give the Weatherby to the gunsmith and have them take out some of the over travel that would do the same thing.

Ben