Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Weatherby, Browning, or Baretta?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2013, 08:57 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Weatherby, Browning, or Baretta?

I don't own a Vanguard, X-Bolt, or Tikka.....However I do have Weatherby Mark-V and Browning A-Bolt rifles. And I think you would be hard-pressed to go wrong with either one of those 2 brands. If the Vanguard S2's are even 1/2 as good as the Mark-V's then you should be very happy. And I have seen some 900+ yard groups with a S2 .257 Wby Mag that a guy posted on here, and it was VERY impressive. I have also heard nothing but positive remarks regarding the X-Bolts, as well. The A-Bolts and X-Bolts are fairly similar, and the A-Bolts are tack-drivers straight out of the box, which leads me to believe the X-Bolts are, too. I wouldn't see why they wouldn't be. Brownings are legendary for their accuracy.

I don't have much experience with the Tikka rifles, other than I used to sell them years ago when I worked at the outdoors store. I never really heard much feedback good or bad from customers, so I have limited knowledge of them. Wish I could be of more help.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:24 AM
Platinum Member

There are a couple factors that jump out at me.

1- Do you intend to upgrade the rifle? i.e. stock, trigger, barrel etc
The Howa (Vangard) is probably going to take the lead in this catergory followed closely by the Tikka & FAR ahead of the Browning. You can upgrade all of them but the farther you stray from the "common" rifles, the harder it becomes to find a qualified individual to help you out.

2- Magnum cartridges deserve magnum length barrels... anything shorter than 26" makes me want to pound my face against the wall (personal preference of course ). Shorter than 24" is more than likely to increase muzzle blast & reduce velocity, especially if you handload with slow burning powder.

In the end, personal preference & comfort will seal the deal for you. If you don't really intend to tinker with the rifle, you really can't go wrong. I hear the Tikka has very smooth bolt manipulation.

t

Old 06-06-2013, 09:35 AM
Bronze Member

Well I dont intend to upgrade it at all and i have looked but i cant find any rifles with a 26" barrel.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:42 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjurgensen View Post
Well I dont intend to upgrade it at all and i have looked but i cant find any rifles with a 26" barrel.

Don't sweat the bbl lenth thing, it's a pet peeve of mine

If you don't intend to upgrade I'd say chose the rifle the same way you choose your woman, whichever one turn you on the most

t

Old 06-06-2013, 10:01 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by idaho elk hunter View Post
I own each of these. I can tell you that for reloading and for factory loaded ammo the Weatherby series 2 is more accurate, Way more accurate when you get past 400 yds. The Tikka is good but it will not get on pace with the Weatherby. I am a ffl holder and sell all of these. There are rare exceptions in these accuracy results but they are few and far between. If your going to re- barrel then I would definitely recommend the Savage, accutrigger, accustock with a Pac-Nor. You can instal this your self at home. Matching the length of bullet for the twist will get you shooting a quarter all day long! Good luck on your decision!
I disagree with the statement on the accuracy of Tikka's. I to have a FFL and sell both brands along with others. I have yet to find a Tikka that will not shoot 1/2 MOA or less and I have played around with several. The Weatherby Vanguard 2's seem to not be as consistent Accuracy wise as the Tikka.

The Tikka also has a much smoother action and as for parts and upgrading there are plenty out there and you really do not need to upgrade much on a Tikka to start with. The Tikka is my favorite out of the box do nothing to it rifle out of all of them. They also weigh less than the Vanguard 2 and are free floated.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:16 AM
Bronze Member

Ok thanks. Another question I have is what the best rate of twist would preform the best for a 270 WSM?
Old 06-06-2013, 10:21 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjurgensen View Post
Ok thanks. Another question I have is what the best rate of twist would preform the best for a 270 WSM?

That will depend solely on the weight range of the bullets you intend to shoot.

t