Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Weatherby, Browning, or Baretta?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2013, 08:16 PM
Bronze Member

Weatherby, Browning, or Baretta?

Im looking for a new rifle and have narrowed my caliber down to a 270 WSM. Now im debating on the gun. My decision is between a Weatherby Vanguard Series 2 sporter, a Browning X-Bolt Hunter, or a Tikka T3 Lite. The Weatherby and Browning have a wooden stock and the Tikka is synthetic. Both the Weatherby and Tikka have a 24" barrel but the Browning is 23". All three look to be quality rifles, unfortunately I have never owned a Browning, Barreta, or Weatherby rifle so I don't know which is better or the qualities each hold. Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
-TJ
Old 06-04-2013, 08:35 PM
Silver Member

Re: Weatherby, Browning, or Baretta?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjurgensen View Post
Im looking for a new rifle and have narrowed my caliber down to a 270 WSM. Now im debating on the gun. My decision is between a Weatherby Vanguard Series 2 sporter, a Browning X-Bolt Hunter, or a Tikka T3 Lite. The Weatherby and Browning have a wooden stock and the Tikka is synthetic. Both the Weatherby and Tikka have a 24" barrel but the Browning is 23". All three look to be quality rifles, unfortunately I have never owned a Browning, Barreta, or Weatherby rifle so I don't know which is better or the qualities each hold. Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
-TJ
Why do you want a Weatherby, Browning or Tikka over, say, a Winchester, Savage or Remington? (the latter three have a lot more custom parts available) or a Ruger?

I'm not being facetious, but the answer to that question can help us answer your question. What qualities are you looking for?
Old 06-04-2013, 08:52 PM
Bronze Member

I really like the looks and feel of these rifles and I already own a savage so I'd like to try some other makers.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:03 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjurgensen View Post
I really like the looks and feel of these rifles and I already own a savage so I'd like to try some other makers.
So it's a look and feel thing?

Have you been to a shop and held each one? What did you think?
Old 06-04-2013, 09:56 PM
Silver Member

I own each of these. I can tell you that for reloading and for factory loaded ammo the Weatherby series 2 is more accurate, Way more accurate when you get past 400 yds. The Tikka is good but it will not get on pace with the Weatherby. I am a ffl holder and sell all of these. There are rare exceptions in these accuracy results but they are few and far between. If your going to re- barrel then I would definitely recommend the Savage, accutrigger, accustock with a Pac-Nor. You can instal this your self at home. Matching the length of bullet for the twist will get you shooting a quarter all day long! Good luck on your decision!
Old 06-05-2013, 10:05 AM
Bronze Member

Thanks elk hunter and yes it is mostly a feel thing and iv heard a lot of good things about the weatherbys brownings and tikkas
Old 06-05-2013, 12:34 PM
Silver Member

Can't help on rifle choice. But great cartridge, I'm sure you'll enjoy what you get.