Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Weatherby action vs. Remington action

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2005, 06:33 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Weatherby action vs. Remington action

Does the 700 action that I go and find need to be a gun chambered .308 if that's the caliber I go with in the final creation or simply a short action? I might need a short lesson in actions.
Old 01-14-2005, 11:07 PM

No it doesen't need to be a 308 , just have the same case head size which is basicaly all the same until you get up to the Mags or real small cals like the 223 , 222 , 17 and such.
And it realy doesen't even have to be a short action , I have a 308 built on a long action so I can use the realy long bullet seated out pretty far and still feed from the mag and not have the bullet stuffed way down in the case.

In all honesty , you can have this rig built for alot cheaper by using a cheap barrel like one from Adams&Bennet and get a cheap stock , the accuracy will still more than likely be better than any factory rig Rem turns out and probably foul less to(aside from their custom shop rigs)
It all realy depends on what you wanting to do with the rifle. Shoot deer at a max of 300yds , you probably don't even need the action trued. But if you want to puch small holes or shoot long range you owe it to your self to get a good barrel and a well built rig

I got a buddy that gets a credit card , one with the 0% intrest for a year type deal and orders all his parts with that then sends the stuff off to the smith and pays him cash that way he has a good while to get the parts paid off. He gets a rifle built about every year.
Old 01-17-2005, 10:04 PM
Gold Member

Cheapest way out would be a Savage weather warrior mod 116 SAK. The only thing I would improve would be the stock,I have one and the thing will shoot sub min with the stock that came on it. It has a muzzle brake that is adjustable and is pillar bedded from the factory. The barrel is a bit short for my liking but the accuracy challenges my custom built rifles with match barrels!
And by the way ROLL TIDE !!!!!
Old 01-17-2005, 11:23 PM
Bronze Member

[ QUOTE ]
And by the way ROLL TIDE !!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Give me your coordinance......I'm calling in an airstrike!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 01-18-2005, 02:44 PM
Gold Member

Congrats' on your unbeaten season,I have friends who have Weatherbys and they shoot great but I believe the 700 is probably better for building a rifle on.The Weatherby's do have one thing I like that is free bore, plenty of folks will say that guns with free bore aren't accurate but I have sone that are. What are your coordinates perhaps we could shoot sometime?
Old 01-19-2005, 02:41 PM
Bronze Member

In Auburn. Come on down! I'll take you to Toomers corner and buy you a lemonade.
Old 01-19-2005, 03:22 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Auburn Tiger,

Just noticed your question. Welcome to the board as well.

If you are building a custom rifle, get a Rem 700 hands down the best factory action to build.

If your going to buy a semi-custom rifle which the custom shop Wby rifles are, I would still get a rem 700 action and have a rifle built to the specs you want.

My package price full custom rifles will come in at less then what most custom shop Wby rifles will and I would have no worries that it would far outshoot the Wby.

Its far better to do things right the first time and that would be with a Rem 700 as a platform for this project.

It would be easiest to get a Rem 700 short action chambered for one of the 308 based rounds, 243, 260, 7mm-08 or 308. None of these would need any receiver or bolt work at all except the accurizing process.

Smaller caliber 700s can be used, such as those for the 223 family or rounds but the bolt will need to be opened up and the extractor replaced.

The Wby receiver is a very stout receiver but no more so then a properly fitted Rem 700. Even with all nine of the locking lugs on the MkV receiver, only about 6 will bare.

Compare this lug area with that of a properly machined Rem 700 with 100% lug contact on its two big bolt lugs and the Rem actually has more baring surface asn shear area compared to the Wby.

The analogy about the Camero and the Corvette are about right on the money. from the factory they are both pretty hot cars, but tricked out to the max, the little Camero will smoke the vette.

Personally, for building extreme accuracy rifles for my customers, there is really only one action, the Rem 700. I use others such as Win M70 push feeds and even Savages but the Rem is the tops for quality, workability and end result potential.

Sakos are great actions but getting one will cost you significantly more then a Rem 700. Add to that the much more limited selection of sftermarket stocks and accesseries and there really is no competition with the Rem 700.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com