Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Weatherby action vs. Remington action

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2005, 08:36 PM
Bronze Member

Weatherby action vs. Remington action

Is one better than the other? A lot of you here like the Remington 700 action. Is it heads-and-shoulders above the other production rifles? I had a Weatherby Accumark and thought it was a fine piece of work. It was a .30-378, so I never found out how accurate it could be. What was I thinking? Ammo=$$$$ Well, you might guess what I was thinking..."bigger is better!" That younger fella has become a more conscious and frugal person (I still don't mind shelling out for the rifle itself..nothing over $1500). I sold the Accumark and am now in a position to buy a new deer rifle for hunting here in the southeast. I also want to do a little target shooting with it too. That's why I'm wanting something that will take care of the deer and also have a chance at being a tack driver. I thought about going with Weatherby's Super Varmint Master in .308 or maybe 7mm-08. I like the stainless, fluted, 26" barrel. I wonder if Weatherby would do a 26" barrel in the Accumark for standard ammo? I know more about the .308 as of now, so that's where I'm leaning. What about the Remington? I liked the looks of the Sendero with the bull barrel, but they no longer make it. I'm not a custom kinda guy, but I would like to start re-loading my ammunition. Does anyone know where I can read-up on some more info to help me decide on a rifle? Can anyone explain the action differences?

Sorry if the post sounds long-winded!

Thanks!
Old 01-13-2005, 10:20 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Weatherby action vs. Remington action

I have owned lots of each and have quite a bit of money tied up in Wbys from their custom shop. Your question as to will they do a 26 inch barrel for the standard calibre, then answer is yes but it will cost heaps because it will take you to another part of Wby. You can order a Wby with a Krieger cut rifling barrel but you can't do that by just a paying a few dollars in addition to their standard rifle.

If your goals are in the accuracy end of town and you think you might want go full steam ahead then Remington is a better choice by far than Wby. A couple of simple reasons. You can't get a 3 lever trigger for a Wby. The bedding configuration of the Rem 700 is much better than the Wby and especially if you want a swithc barrel rifle which requirs the barrel to have no bedding under the first nch or so.

The Wby is for some people, and I am one of them, a very eye catching rifle. The action is very fast and slick to use but only in my opinion if all your rifles are Wby. Mixing between the 90 degree bolt lift of Rem/Win and the 54 degree of the Wby seems to make things awkward.

In terms of accuracy an analogy might be that a Wby and especially via their custom shop is like a Chev Corvette and the Rem is like getting an old Camaro and spending money doing it right up....it will [censored] all over the Corvette down the drag strip.

Hope that is of some help for you.

Mike
Old 01-14-2005, 12:46 PM
Bronze Member

So, you're saying that I shouldn't buy the rifle and just get a Camaro? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

So if I were to go with the Remington, what rifle should I look at purchasing? Some of their 700s that I like aren't even chambered in .308. I really like the Sendero and the new VSS II(?), but those rifles come pretty close to the cost of the Weatherby and by the time I changed some of the things out for better performing parts, I'd probably have spent quite a bit. What are some of the changes to be made to make a production 700 a better rifle?

Thanks for responding!
Old 01-14-2005, 04:02 PM
Gold Member

Get a Sako 75 and be done with it. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Best of both worlds!! Accuracy, performance, looks, slick action, etc..sakofan..Welcome to LRH BTW, Tiger!!
Old 01-14-2005, 04:17 PM
Bronze Member

I'll check them out. Boy, if I had a million dollars!!! Thanks for the welcome! People have been very helpful on this forum board.
Old 01-14-2005, 04:17 PM

Get a short action Rem 700 rifle at any pawn shop $300
order a barrel from Pac-Nor $220
send them both to a good smith to be worked and fitted $400
order a good stock of you choice $200-$600
the Rem trigger can be worked to a nice 2lbs for about$50
and for about $1100 to $1500 you ahve a custom rig that will shoot circles around any of the factory rigs you mentioned and the best part you can make the little changes like barrel length and conture that will matter to you.

Or just buy a Savage !! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
yae their ugly and not real smooth but they sure do shoot
Old 01-14-2005, 06:22 PM
Bronze Member

If you do what J Jones suggests and get the HS Precision stock you will have a rifle that looks like a Sendero. In fact it would be a Sendero except with a better barrel.

Accuracy from factory rifles is luck of the draw, that is why you see so many varied answers on which is the most accurate factory rifle.

But the Rem 700 gives the best basis to build on.

Mike