Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Weatherby Accurizing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2005, 03:43 PM

Re: Weatherby Accurizing

Thank you FIFTYDRIVER! Wadevb1 sure does have it right, you are the RIFLE GOD. You don't happen to know a gunsmith who can handle this, do you? I'm not really very mechanically oriented (once tried to re-checker the stock of one my rifles with a two-penny nail and a ballpeen hammer, it didn't turn out so well).
Old 01-28-2005, 04:37 PM
Bronze Member

Thank you FIFTYDRIVER. It gives me hope that at least I can improve this rifle. The first round flier has given me fits.

Plus, my wife keeps telling me that the gun should be perfect for $900. I think she is at least part correct.

I am a bit confused about your description of "floating the receiver screws", but I need to look at the screws tonight before I ask for more detail.

By the way, I drove through Fort Shaw last week on my way back from Lewistown. Have to say I like Simms and Sun River better. JUST KIDDING! The front is a beautiful part of the state.

Thanks again for the encouragement.

Eric
Old 01-29-2005, 12:05 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Deathray7,

Ya we can tune up that Wby for you. Rifle god is flat out rediculous as a disciption for me. There are others on this board with volumes of experience, we are all in this together offering what we can to help reach the same goal.

Hell I have done a little cosmetic stock work, never again, I will farm that stuff out. I much prefer stocks I can order in. Anything to do with building an accurate rifle I can certainly hold my own. Making pretty stocks, there are others that I will gladly pay to do this fine art [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]!!

Let me know

kballen@3rivers.net

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 01-29-2005, 12:11 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Getsmart,

Floating the screws simply means they are not touching the stock. Nothing more.

It is hard to drop $900 on a rifle only to have to put up with such finickiness. Unfortunately $900 is not an overly expensive factory rifle these days, well I guess that is good for me and other smith. Makes out custom rifles even more of a bargin.

Grew up in teh Sun River Valley, went to high school in Simms. Windiest damn place you ever say but it is home and I don't expect to ever leave.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 01-29-2005, 01:13 PM
Gold Member

Ive noticed this flyer thing on a few accumarks, and the others i've seen didn't shoot all that tight either. I found that pressure dedding the barrel with a wedge about 1" back from the front of the stock tightened the groups up no end. you can check to see if it works by using card or tape before making a contact wegde in the stock out of bedding material.
I wouldn't recoment this type of bedding if you are using a bipod though, i do like to fully float a barrel, i have just made the observation that this particular treatment tightened the weatherby's up.
Pete
Old 01-29-2005, 08:24 PM
Silver Member

FIFTY', expect e-mail from me as well in the near future. I now have to decide on the name of my new barrel, so many quality barrels to choose from....Wade
Old 01-31-2005, 12:58 PM
Bronze Member

wadevb1,

what type of inconsistent groups are you getting? first round fliers or just randon consistency?

did you use a torque wrench to secure your action?

are you kidding about shooting out your barrel or have you put many rounds through your gun, trying to solve the problem?

i am interested to hear from (comisserate with)others in my quest to solve the problem.

i will likely work with my gun for a couple more months. if no success by then I take my gun to Fiftydriver.

thanks

eric