Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Wby Vanguard re-barrel suggestions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2014, 01:59 PM
Bronze Member

Wby Vanguard re-barrel suggestions

I have a Weatherby Vanguard (not the S2), chambered in 300 Wby. I am interested in upgrading the 24" sporter contour barrel to a 28" sendero contour.

I plan on loading Berger 215 or 230's.

I just don't know if I can find an accurate load with those bullets while still keeping the coal at 3.560.

I am open to switching to 300 win if i could have more potential for an accurate load given my coal limitation.

Any suggestions??
Old 07-24-2014, 02:42 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Wby Vanguard re-barrel suggestions

Since you like your .300 Wby, look into the .300 Ackley. It's an improved version of your .300 Wby. Uses .300 Wby brass. And you can even use a .300 Wby neck-sizer die to reload until your custom dies get to you. Unless your smith has a carbide reamer, in which case he can open up all your dies to .300 Ackley.

You won't gain much for velocity, but the 40* shoulder keeps the brass from growing so rapidly, and IMO, the rectangular shoulder is more accurate than the radiused shoulder of the Wby, even though they space off the belt. I just feel the rectangular shoulder fits in the chamber a little bit more snug and precise. But that's just my thoughts, I'm no expert.

Also, a 28" Sendero contour barrel would be perfect for the .300 Wby or .300 Ackley. I would get a 1:10 twist, that way you are good all the way up to 230gr bullets.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 07-24-2014, 03:27 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks for the suggestion. If it has a case design that could be inherently more accurate, that is a plus.
Old 07-24-2014, 03:36 PM
Platinum Member

Like I said, I have no idea if it's more accurate or not....But I would assume naturally that since the chamber has a squared-off shoulder, that it would be easier to repeat that all the way around the reamer, than a rounded shoulder would be. But I'm sure technology has gotten so good these days that there's virtually no difference. I mainly just like the cool name, the uniqueness of the cartridge, and the way it looks better than the .300 Wby.

Here's a picture to show you how close they are.

Here's one of my new .300 Wby cases loaded & ready to fire-form (left), and here's a fully formed .300 Ackley case (right).

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Old 07-24-2014, 05:04 PM
Platinum Member

Here's a few pics of my custom built Rem 700 "Sendero SF" in .300 Ackley.

It is a fully trued and blueprinted stainless 700 action. Brand new fully worked-over factory 26" Remington Sendero SF .300 Wby barrel, that was re-chambered, hand-lapped, and re-crowned. Worked old-style factory trigger. And a Remington take-off Sendero HS Precision stock.

So, other than the chambering, and the barrel and bolt handle getting blasted matte finish (my smith's trademark), it is a Sendero SF that was literally pieced together 1 part at at time. Even the action's serial number is period-correct for the Sendero SF models.

I found the barrel at my gunsmith's shop, he had it sitting on a shelf mixed in with his other new take-off barrels.

Here's a few before I mounted the scope...

Quote:
Old 07-24-2014, 05:30 PM
Bronze Member

Nice set-up. Thanks for sharing.
Old 07-24-2014, 06:06 PM
Bronze Member

FYI, Vanguards run metric sizing threads. Not a huge deal but make sure your smith can do those. I have ran into a couple people who wouldn't rebarrel a vanguard for this reason.