Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Wby Accumark weight

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2008, 07:34 PM
Bronze Member

Wby Accumark weight

Is there any way to lighten a Wby Accumark? I picked up a 30-378 in a accumark about 6 months ago, I mounted a leupold vx-III 4.5-14x40 LR on low rings and dual dovetail mounts. I love the way this rifle shoots, and handles but I dont like the weight, I want a hunting rifle that I can backpack with in the backcountry. Is there anything I could do to shave some weight? Does anyone build a stock thats the same design as the factory stock thats lighter? Can the action be lightened? Would a guy dare go to a lighter contour barrel with a rifle like this? In a perfect world I would love to drop a pound off the thing but I know thats just a dream. This would be the perfect rifle for me if it was just a tad lighter.
Old 08-08-2008, 07:40 PM
Platinum Member

That caliber in a lighter rifle is going to introduce you to the recoil zone. To get there you could hollow out the stock. Remove the brake and change the rings to a set of integral aluminum mounts. You could probably dump 2 pounds off of it. The next step would be to trade it for a Weatherby Ultra Lightweight in 300Wby. I doubt you would give up much velocity. They weigh in at 6 3/4 pounds. I only have the use of one arm and I think the Accumark is the ideal factory rifle. I have 3 of them. You shouldn't have any trouble finding a nice low milage Ultra Lightweight. They kick like a son of a gun compared to the Accumark. Mine has me spoiled.

Only accurate rifles are interesting.

Gordy and Brady.
Old 08-08-2008, 08:23 PM
Bronze Member

Hello Hired Gun, I have been seriously debated selling my accumark and getting the ultralight. I hunt without the brake on my accumark and its tolerable to me, but im kind of leary of the ultralight without a brake, and I dont like the idea of muzzle brakes in some of the areas I hunt, some shot opportunities are up close and fast, no time for ear plugs. By the way hired gun it looks like we're almost neighbors, I just live over the hill in the valley.

Last edited by cmfi3; 08-08-2008 at 08:29 PM.
Old 08-08-2008, 08:35 PM
Platinum Member

I never shoot without earplugs. I like what little hearing I have left. With or without the brake the noise seems the same. I like the bigger Accumarks with the brake on. I like to be able to shoot as relaxed as possible. If you find your self bored and looking for some long range action I have a few spots to stretch it out. As you know in the Tioga you will increase your possibilities the farther you can shoot. I have an 8.5-25x50 on mine.

Gordy and Brady.
Old 08-10-2008, 09:34 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Wby Accumark weight

I have a light weight in 300 wby with accubrake. I love it. I dont ear plugs in hunting situations and have not noticed the noise on any of my 5 past deer. I think adrenaline takes over at that point.

I shot it without and it definitely beats you up. With the accubrake, it kicks less than my 7mm rem mag a bolt with a boss... a lot less. I can shoot it all day.

I am defenitely a believer in accubrakes.
Old 08-11-2008, 12:45 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Wby Accumark weight

Here is mine.

Gordy and Brady.