Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

which way to go AR-50 or AR-15 conversion ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2008, 02:24 PM
Banned

which way to go AR-50 or AR-15 conversion ?

i intend for my next purchase to be a .50 BMG, i know all about the barrett and i know its a wonderful weapon but i am looking for an alternative, as of now i am looking at the Armalite AR-50 and an AR-15 conversion kit from ALS. according to ALS there are no durbiltiy issues or concern of recoil on the small AR15 pins . so i amasking if anyone has any experience or opions/knowledge on eihter of theese or similar rifle setups. thanks
Old 07-28-2008, 03:05 PM
Platinum Member

I have a friend that has a Ferret upper for his 50 and he loves it , it does shoot well and he has had no issed with the reciever pins BUT , he is using a stainless steel lower he bought to build a heavy varmint gun , the pins look fine and I take them outand inspect them ever time I see him with the gun , he got around 500 rounds through it and the same pins are used and still strait , the concern I would have is not the pins but the pin holes getting out of round from the recoil as the stadard AR lover is aluminum.
His only trouble has been the factroy hammer and spring in the AR lower isin't not as strong as what would come on a dedicated 50 cal rifle and this has caused a few missfires.

The Ar-50 is certainly a better choice if it fits your budget , I think it would be alot better to go with a dedicated gun built for the round that somthing that was made to work with somthing else
Old 07-28-2008, 03:09 PM
Platinum Member

James Jones; I have a friend that has a Ferret upper for his 50 and he loves it , it does shoot well and he has had no issed with the reciever pins BUT , he is using a stainless steel lower he bought to build a heavy varmint gun , the pins look fine and I take them outand inspect them ever time I see him with the gun , he got around 500 rounds through it and the same pins are used and still strait , the concern I would have is not the pins but the pin holes getting out of round from the recoil as the stadard AR lover is aluminum.
His only trouble has been the factroy hammer and spring in the AR lower isin't not as strong as what would come on a dedicated 50 cal rifle and this has caused a few missfires.

I met a guy at the gun range with a Ferret upper also and he was having the same problems with misfires using the factory hammer and spring in his AR lower.
Old 07-28-2008, 03:51 PM
Platinum Member

From what I understand all the AR-15 upper conversion to 50BMG's have the same problem , the primer on the military ammo is a good bit harder to set off , he doesn't have any trouble with the stuff he got from "Hunt shack" but from what he does with it their no since in spending that kind of money , he just like to here is go off.

I have considered getting an upper chambered in 338 Lapua of the 408 based rounds ,that would be neat but for the cost of it I'd rathe spend a bit more and have a dedicated rifle
Old 07-29-2008, 10:14 AM
Bronze Member

I would go with the AR50. It's a great gun and is low on recoil.Keep it dedicated as a 50.
Old 07-29-2008, 05:39 PM
Gold Member

I don't know exactly what kind of rifle you are building but I used an AR-50 receiver to build a custom rifle on. I wasn't a huge fan of the look of the stock rifle but the action built a nice rifle. I am just finishing the stock for it now and probably have 2K into building the rifle plus rings and scopes. It did come with a nice tapered rail base made for the action. I know thier action was less than 1/2 the price of the BAT or McMillan when I bought mine. If your planning on reloading for it I would suggest staying away from the RCBS ammo master press, mine is borderline useless. Good Luck!
Old 07-29-2008, 08:39 PM
Banned

thanks for all the info i did not know you could buy just the receiver from armalite i dont see it listed. anyone know where i could find one or how much they run ? thanks.