Originally Posted by USMC-Mustang
1. Is the caliber good for say, 1000 yard shooting?
2. Scope choice OK?
6. Muzzle break?
Thanks ahead of time for any inputs.
1) Yes both are excellent to either hunting or punching paper at 1000 yards or more. Barrell life will be an issue with either though. Both are large overbore calibers and are hard on barrels.
2) This scope is good. It will offer up good repeatable adjustment and decent glass. My personal recommendation would be an IOR, Nightforce, or US optics. Each offer better glass in a scope that is of equal or better quality.
3) This depends on what you want to spend. A Remington 700 action will work just fine and offer plenty of aftermarket goodies. However if you really want something special go for a true custom. Something along the lines of a Lawton or Surgeon action.
4) I really like Manner stocks. Manner offers outstanding products and customer service. However McMillian, Bell and Carlson, and HS precision also offer up some good products.
5) Believe it or not the old style remington triggers can be tuned up really nice if your smith knows what he/she is doing. However it you get a custom action just get the smith to include the trigger setup with the action and you will have a nice trigger.
6) Just ask who ever you get the barrel from about a brake. They should be able to set you up.
7) There are lots of people out there that manufacter good bases. I personally like TPS. However I hear good things about seekins, Badger Ordinace, and Lawton.