Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

want to reload my remmy 7mm , need help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2013, 09:16 PM
Banned

want to reload my remmy 7mm , need help

Hello there hope all is well, I am moving onto my 7mm mag. Its a 1989 rem bdl, looks like 9 1/2 twist. Not sure what bullet grain to use, would like to order 168 gr amax.

Any advice from owner of 7mm would be great
Old 08-16-2013, 09:24 PM
Platinum Member

Re: want to reload my remmy 7mm , need help

Nosler 160 Accubonds or Berger 168 VLD's are my recommendation. I'm not a big fan of the A-Max bullets.

The 168 VLD's are shooting excellently out of my Browning 7Mag (9.5" twist), and both the A-Bolt II and the old Ruger 77 7Mag love the 160 NAB's.

Any other questions feel free to ask.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 08-16-2013, 09:32 PM
Banned

Mud runner explain y amax no good ??

I am hoping to sshot 200-1000k at deer and elk...

What powders are best and what c.o.l
Old 08-17-2013, 12:01 AM
Platinum Member

I am just not a fan of Hornady ballistic tipped bullets. I used to shoot Hornady 139gr SST's and had deer run too far and had to track them too far. They shot good, just not good and grouped deadly...Just seemed to sort of disentigrate on impact.

Since those number of years ago, I have discovered the Nosler Accubonds are deadly accurate, and devastating to deer in the vitals.

I am going to be hunting with the Berger 168 VLD's this year, mainly, and will be seeing how they do on deer. I will, of course, report back with my findings, but have heard excellent things, and they are grouping VERY well in my 7mm rifles.

My A-Bolt II 7Mag really seems to be liking the Berger 168's with 70gr of H1000 and a Federal 215M primer. Seating depth is an individual thing. But for my Browning with the 3-round floorplate mag, I seat them at 2.660" from base to the Ogive with a Hornady Comparator attached on my Starrett 799 calipers.

Hope this helps.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Old 08-17-2013, 12:30 AM
Banned

What price you paying for them
Old 08-17-2013, 02:01 AM
Platinum Member

Local store recently jumped from $49.99 to $54.99 a box (100).

They're worth it for me. They group so well out of my guns, and it wasn't hard to get them tuned-in like alot of folks talk about. Plus, the design is intended for long range shooting, but they have been tested to be functional @ as close as 50 feet away.

Quote:
Old 08-17-2013, 12:48 PM
Banned

With that said what would be the lightest bullet I can use for ground hog ? Accurately